A Nursing Student's Prayer

A Nursing Student's Prayer

Because you can't do this alone.

10155
A Nursing Student's Prayer
Ashlee Bennett

Any nursing student can tell you about how stressful school gets. Between tests, papers, clinical rotations, and trying to have a life in between all of that, it's easy to lose motivation. It's easy to want to quit. It's easy to question the reason you even chose this major at all. It's so easy to lose your faith when it gets tested almost every day. And the only one who can get my mind back on the greater picture is God. So in my moments of frustration and doubt, I call upon Him.

God,

I humbly come before you to ask for your guidance. I pray you would guide my mind to focus only on the things that matter. Lord take away all of the meaningless distractions that exist in my world and leave me with only what is important. I pray you would guide my hands as I care for your people. Lord give me the abilities and gentleness to improve the lives of all I come in contact with. I pray you would guide my heart to love everyone I care for. Lord allow me to set aside any judgments or preconceived notions that I may hold for someone in order to give them the care and attention they deserve.

God I ask you to give me patience and kindness. The cruelty and anger so prevalent in this world is exhausting. I pray you would allow me to see the good in everyone I meet, even if others do not see it. I pray you would allow me to set my own selfish desires aside to do the work that you called me to do. By the end of the day my feet hurt and my mind, body and soul are tired, but Lord I pray you would let me set all of that aside and continue to be who I need to be for my patients and their families.

God I ask you for confidence. I pray you would give me the ability to believe in myself. I pray you would allow me to see that I can do this. That you sent me to this Earth with a purpose, and my purpose is to help others in a way that I cannot help myself. I pray for the confidence in my abilities in test-taking, clinical skills, and most importantly the confidence to hold a hand while a life is beginning or while you're calling a life Home. I pray you would give me the confidence in myself to be a good nurse and a good person wholeheartedly.

God I ask you to allow me to see the bigger picture. Lord I get so caught up in the yesterdays and the todays that I get stuck wondering if this is all worth it. I catch myself doubting myself and questioning if I am meant to do this. Lord open my eyes. Remind me of the beauty in this work. Remind of the lives I will impact and the hearts I will touch. Remind me that this work is not about me, but about being anything and everything a patient needs me to be. Remind me that I am not in control. You are my guide and my rock. Lord remind me to be grateful for every single moment I spend pursuing this passion.

God I thank You for getting me to this point. I thank You for those who helped me along the way. I thank You for every heartache, failure, and mistake that has brought me here. I thank You for allowing me to pursue a dream so deeply seeded in my heart. Lord I thank You for the support I receive every single day from the ones I love. I would be nothing without them. Lord I thank You for the nurses and the teachers who have come before me to pass down their knowledge and skills to me.

Lord I ask that You continue this journey with me each and every day. Guide my mind, my hands, and my heart. Allow me to be confident in Your guidance and trust in my own instincts and abilities because they were given to me by You. God let me spread Your love to everyone I come in contact with. God give me the ability to see the bigger picture. You gave me this passion and You have gotten me to where I am right now and it is You who will get me to where I need to be.

In Jesus name I pray.

Amen.