5 Numbers That Don't Determined Your Self Worth

5 Numbers That Don't Determine Your Self-Worth

Stop counting, start living.

1302

How many hours a day do we spend second-guessing ourselves based on numerous external factors? We focus on materialistic things or ideas that fluctuate from person to person and then we compare. Instead of focusing on the negative, we can realize what factors bring us down and focus on erasing those out of our lives to thrive in a much more positive, soul-filling environment.

1. Your GPA

Don't get me wrong. Grades are important! However, stop putting yourself down over a bad grade every now and then or a lower GPA than your friends. Just because you aren't on the dean's list doesn't mean you aren't putting in just as many hours in the library as anyone with a 4.0. Focus on doing your absolute best with your academics and the rest will fall into place. Give yourself a pat on the back too. Whether it's high school or college, you're out there doing the dang thing!

2. Your body weight

Bodies come in all shapes and sizes. This means that we all carry our weight differently. Weight is not solely based on what you eat whatsoever. You have to consider height, bone mass, and even genetics. Instead of concentrating on the number of a scale try to visualize the overall picture of your health. Aspire to be the healthiest version of you by eating a balanced diet, inhaling some good old fresh air, and caring for your mental health with things like yoga and meditation.

3. The size of your clothes

Say it with me ladies and gentleman: sizing is inconsistent! It is far too easy to go into a dressing room with one size in mind, and feel defeated when that size is too snug. I have had countless dressing room nightmare stories. I used to be humiliated to ask for the next size or two up in anything I was trying on and it became exhausting. It was always a mental battle to go try on clothes for me which is never how shopping should be. A size 10 could fit much more like an 8 in one store and a 12 in another, it all depends on the brand. Don't let a number get in the way of shopping and expressing your style. Some of my favorite "sizing friendly" stores include Aerie, Express, and Old Navy.

4. Amount of Instagram likes

This is something that is a struggle for a much wider range of people than we would like to admit…myself included. When so many social media "models" and "influencers" are being thrown in our faces all day as we scroll through our feed it can be tempting to base our validation off of our own social media accounts. How many followers do I have? Why am I not getting as many likes on this particular photo? Who is viewing my story and what did they think about it? The social media train of thought is endless. Try to fill your feed with accounts that feed your soul instead of making you question your own self, such as positive body image influencers.

5. The people in your friend group

As somebody who came from having 10-15 best friends in high school and spent her first semester in college with just two or three. I know it can be tough feeling like the number of your friends is low. It can make you feel lonely or even unpopular. However I learned quickly that it is never about the number of your close friends, but the quality. Cheesy, but true, right? Surround yourself with even just one best friend who has your best interests at heart, who will go on spontaneous adventures with you, and who will be your biggest cheerleader. It is more satisfying to have this rather than dozens of people who only care half of the time. Choose to have the people in your life that want to be there for you, not who you have to beg to show up.