Number One Summer Songs

Number One Summer Songs

Ten years of tunes

33
Number One Summer Songs
Casey Mattes

Summer is a magical time of the year for most people, or at least it is before you enter the working world that doesn’t offer much in the way of vacation time. There is just something about summer songs too that can really evoke emotion and memories long after the warm days have left us.

It started me thinking about the last ten years and the number one songs of the summer. Once I found them, I started to wonder why summer songs generally have very little content, tend to be hyper sexual, and be very repetitive? I guess we don’t like to think in the summer? That has to be it. So, I present for you a musical journey. Ten years of number one summer songs. Here we go...

2006: Ten years ago, Nelly Furtado along with Timbaland topped the Billboard summer music list with her song “Promiscuous” with such brainy lyrics as “Roses are red-Some diamonds are blue-Chivalry is dead-But you're still kinda cute.” Need we wonder why sexism is alive and well in 2016? Wow. Summer fluff at its finest or its worst depending on your view.

2007: Rihanna topped the summer song chart with “Umbrella” Although it doesn’t have a lot of deep thought, at least it goes beyond promiscuity promising “Now that it's raining more than ever-Know that we'll still have each other-You can stand under my umbrella-You can stand under my umbrella-(Ella ella eh eh eh) Under my umbrella(Ella ella eh eh eh) Under my umbrella(Ella ella eh eh eh) Under my umbrella(Ella ella eh eh eh eh eh eh)” Repetitive? Yes, but a step up from Promiscuous.

2008: The summer that gave us Katy Perry’s “I Kissed a Girl.” The revolutionary hit for the once Christian artist trying to show the world that she wasn’t going to be pigeon holed by her pastor dad and conservative mom. “I hope my boyfriend don't mind it-It felt so wrong-It felt so right-Don't mean I'm in love tonight.” Good thing she doesn’t fall in love with everyone she kisses with a drink in hand!

2009: The Black Eyed Peas “I Gotta Feeling.” That’s a fun song, I still sing that one sometimes. Everyone googled Mazel Tov at least once that summer, so we learned something new at least! (In case you didn’t google it, it is a form of congratulations or good luck in Jewish - you’re welcome) “Fill up my cup, Mazel Tov-Look at her dancing, just take it off-Let's paint the town, we'll shut it down-Let's burn the roof, and then we'll do it again” All the repetition of Umbrella, with a little of the innuendo of Promiscuous. Hmmm. Clever, I guess?

2010: Katy Perry was back on top of the summer songs list with Snoop Dogg telling us about “California Gurls” “California girls-We're unforgettable-Daisy Dukes-Bikinis on top-Sun-kissed skin-So hot-We'll melt your popsicle…” Sigh. Summer songs really do have a pattern don’t they? And it doesn’t seem to be one that is very supportive of the respect that most women seem to be looking for in 2016; but hey! Music is fun!

2011: “Party Rock Anthem” by the band nobody thought they would forget and everybody did. LMFAO. I remember seeing a 4th grade chorus concert where they performed that song, eliminating the line about “Running through hoes like Draino.”

2012: The year that gave us the song that you just can’t get out of your head once somebody starts to sing it...I almost don’t want to tell you because, do I really want to do that to you?

Yeah, of course I do. Carly Rae Jepson’s “Call Me Maybe.” And honestly, this was just kind of a fun summer song. The video surprised everyone the first time they saw it. I will admit for a couple of years after that summer I went on a fast from this song, skipping it anytime it came on, but now, every once in awhile, I let it play and sing along. “Trade my soul for a wish-Pennies and dimes for a kiss-I wasn't looking for this -But now you're in my way.”

You’re still singing it, aren’t’ you? HAHA.

2013: Robin Thicke “Blurred Lines.” After he performed this with Miley Cyrus, I have to admit, I just couldn’t. Onward and upward.

2014: “Fancy” Iggy Azalea popped onto the scene and for a while everyone seemed to love her.”Who that? Who that? I-G-G-Y.” It wasn’t long before the circles I am in hated her though. Poor Iggy. But still, she gave us a summer song to remember and sing along with. I will admit I still don’t know what “Cup of Ace, cup of Goose, cup of Cris” is but I think it has something to do with physics, so it must be educational?

And the number one summer song last year?

2015: “Cheerleader” a song about a guy who loves a girl because she is supportive and although other girls are tempting, he loves his cheerleader. “She gives me love and affection-Baby did I mention, you're the only girl for me-No I don't need a next one-Mama loves you too, she thinks I made the right selection-Now all that's left to do-Is just for me to pop the question-Oh I think that I found myself a cheerleader-She is always right there when I need her.” Seems a little more positive.

Summer songs, love them or hate them they stick in your head. They bring back memories. And they give everyone something to sing at karaoke on Friday’s. Thank God for summer.

I wonder what the summer song of 2016 will be?