The Spotify Playlist Of A Middle Schooler In 2015

No matter how old I get, you'll still find me singing my heart out to these tunes.

340
Photo by Nalau Nobel on Unsplash

Middle school is that weird liminal passage between childhood and becoming an adolescent where everything starts changing--including your taste in music. I was in middle school between 2013 and 2016, and I liked everything from pop to alternative rock (yes, I am guilty of going through the "emo phase" of music). With the help of the radio, YouTube, and Spotify, I was listening to my favorite Fall Out Boy or Shawn Mendes songs 24/7.

Can you remember some of your favorite songs to hear from 2015? I bet at least one of them is on this list.

1. "Hello" — Adele

I know you've sang along with this song on at least one occasion, because who didn't? It made everyone stop and sing with all of their soul whenever it was played.

Adele - Hello www.youtube.com

2. "Want to Want Me" — Jason Derulo

Start dancing and singing at the top of your lungs with me, because that's exactly what I start doing when I hear this song.

Jason Derulo - "Want To Want Me" (Official Video) www.youtube.com

3. "Love Yourself" — Justin Bieber

I still love the chill vibes of this song. I can't help but sing along.

Justin Bieber - Love Yourself (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com

4. "Drag Me Down" — One Direction

Who could forget One Direction? Sadly, 2015 was the year that Zayn left the group, but that didn't stop the rest of the members from releasing catchy songs like this one.

One Direction - Drag Me Down (Official Video) www.youtube.com

5. "Uma Thurman" — Fall Out Boy

This one's for all of my middle school classmates who introduced me to Fall Out Boy because it was the "trend"--but their music just doesn't get old.

Fall Out Boy - Uma Thurman www.youtube.com

6. "Stressed Out" — twenty one pilots

This song really brought me back. Because of their relatable lyrics paired with a captivating drum beat, twenty one pilots was a duo that became really popular among us middle schoolers.

twenty one pilots: Stressed Out [OFFICIAL VIDEO] www.youtube.com

7. "Crazy Kids ft. will.i.am" — Ke$ha

This song came out in 2013, but it's safe to say that it remained popular throughout middle school for some of my friends and I.

Ke$ha - Crazy Kids ft. will.i.am (Official Video) www.youtube.com

8. "Counting Stars" — One Republic

This is another song that came out in 2013, but I'm pretty sure they still played it on the radio until 2016--it was definitely one of the songs I looked forward to hearing on the radio, and I often had this song on repeat while doing my homework.

OneRepublic - Counting Stars (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com

9. "Thinking Out Loud" — Ed Sheeran

A timeless love song that has remained insanely popular since it came out. It's still perfect for a couple's first dance at weddings.

Ed Sheeran - Thinking Out Loud [Official Video] www.youtube.com

10. "Uptown Funk" — Bruno Mars

You're lying if you say you didn't immediately start bobbing your head, dancing, and singing along whenever this song started playing. It's one of the best party songs to ever exist.

Mark Ronson - Uptown Funk (Official Video) ft. Bruno Mars www.youtube.com

11. "See You Again" — Wiz Khalifa featuring Charlie Puth

Does anyone else start feeling pain when this song starts to play? Because same.

*This song was commissioned as a tribute to the late actor Paul Walker. Rest in peace.

Wiz Khalifa - See You Again ft. Charlie Puth [Official Video] Furious 7 Soundtrack www.youtube.com

12. "Trap Queen" — Fetty Wap

Despite being released in 2014, I still remember this as one of the most popular rap songs of my middle school days.

Fetty Wap - Trap Queen (Official Video) Prod. By Tony Fadd www.youtube.com

13. "Sugar" — Maroon 5

I can't even find the words to express how much I love this song. It gives me INSANELY good vibes, not just because of the song itself, but all the joy Maroon 5 was able to give to every wedding they performed at for their music video.

Maroon 5 - Sugar (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com

14. "Shut Up and Dance" — WALK THE MOON

Yet another 2014 release, but I'm just going to "shut up and dance" along to this song too.

WALK THE MOON - Shut Up and Dance (Official Video) www.youtube.com

15. "Blank Space" — Taylor Swift

I love pretty much every Taylor Swift hit, but "Blank Space" was definitely one of my most replayed songs in middle school.

Taylor Swift - Blank Space www.youtube.com

16. "Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae)" — Silento

There is no way you didn't see (or participate) in this trend--it was all over social media and played at like, every party.

Silentó - Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com

17. "Take Me to Church" — Hozier

"Take Me to Church" is more of a ballad with a powerful message, making it perfect to listen to for the more gloomy days.

Hozier - Take Me To Church (Official Video) www.youtube.com

18. "Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix)" — OMI

Two words: good vibes!

OMI - Cheerleader (Felix Jaehn Remix) [Official Video] www.youtube.com

19. "Love Me Like You Do" — Ellie Goulding

"Love Me Like You Do" is another song I loved to listen to while painting or just chilling at home.

Ellie Goulding - Love Me Like You Do (Official Video) www.youtube.com

20. "Stitches" — Shawn Mendes

This song was just--*chef's kiss*. Listening to it now reminds me of my gym classes; my gym teacher always put on the radio during our volleyball games, and this song was played so often. Not that I'm complaining, though.

Shawn Mendes - Stitches (Official Video) www.youtube.com

21. "Photograph" — Ed Sheeran

A lil' sentimental song that I still love so much now. Like photographs and videos, music is timeless.

Ed Sheeran - Photograph (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com

22. "Elastic Heart" — Sia

Sia's powerful vocals, especially her high notes, can never get old.

Sia - Elastic Heart feat. Shia LaBeouf & Maddie Ziegler (Official Video) www.youtube.com

23. "Hotline Bling" — Drake

This song is so insanely catchy, and it's perfect for parties too!

Drake - Hotline Bling www.youtube.com

24. "Love Me Right" — EXO

This one's for all my fellow K-Pop fans--and even if you aren't, this song has a really good beat, a catchy chorus, and impressive choreography. Not to mention that the EXO members were really serving looks in this music video.

EXO 엑소 'LOVE ME RIGHT' MV www.youtube.com

25. "I NEED U" — BTS

Another one for my K-Pop fans! This was one of the first BTS songs I ever listened to, and it was the one of the songs that led to BTS's ever-growing popularity. The amount of times my middle school friends and I started dancing to the choreography of this song during our recess periods is hard to count.

BTS (방탄소년단) 'I NEED U' Official MV (Original ver.) www.youtube.com

26. "Victorious" - Panic! at the Disco

Panic! at the Disco was another band popular amongst my middle school classmates, and Brendon Urie's vocals alone explain why.

Panic! At The Disco: Victorious [OFFICIAL VIDEO] www.youtube.com

27. "Focus" - Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande started releasing a lot of pop hits in my middle school days. She's so talented and beautiful it hurts.

Ariana Grande - Focus www.youtube.com

28. "Shake It Off" - Taylor Swift

Players gonna play and the haters gonna hate, but I can never deny that I literally had dance parties alone in my living room with this song playing in the background.

Taylor Swift - Shake It Off www.youtube.com

29. "I'm Not The Only One" - Sam Smith

I know "I'm not the only one" who still enjoys singing and listening to this song. Sam Smith's vocals and the calm beat of this song work so well together.

Sam Smith - I'm Not The Only One (Official Video) www.youtube.com

30. "Locked Away" - R. City ft. Adam Levine

Last but not least, this song is a flawless showcase of both R. City's and Adam Levine's vocals. I could listen to it on repeat for hours.

R. City - Locked Away ft. Adam Levine www.youtube.com