The Place That Saved My Life

The Place That Saved My Life

I am proud to admit this

199
The Place That Saved My Life
https://odysseyimages.s3.amazonaws.com/cropped_SyNBn-9Qz.jpeg

I've always been open when it comes to treatment and the amount that I have gone through. I've been to multiple hospitals and programs but Rogers has definitely left the largest impact on my life. It took me months and countless admissions but it has helped. Let me explain.

December, 2016 was the first time that I had ever gone to Rogers. I was scared shitless, I was in the adult mental health unit and I had heard so many things about the place and I didn't know what to expect. I thought for sure that it would be like my previous admission at a different hospital, but boy was I wrong. 

The first thing that I noticed about the place was the area that it was located in, it was the Oconomowoc location and it was beautiful. The scenery was ridiculous and it just made the stay more comforting and it made it feel less like a hospital. During groups and while I was in my room I would just look outside at all of the trees and the beautiful colors. It brought a sense of comfort that I can't exactly explain. This was just the start. 

The next thing that helped with my stay was the amazing staff! I have never met such amazing people before, everyone at this location was so down to earth and helpful. The techs had the most impact on my stay, I appreciate everything that they did for me. They made me feel like it was okay to not be okay, they talked to me and just treated me like I wasn't sick, which I didn't get that often. The nurses and doctors there were phenomenal, they knew what they were doing and they knew how to help me. 

Now although it was such a good stay it wasn't my only stay, I've had a total of about 6 stays and this includes the one residential stay at the FOCUS program. This is the one that has had the largest impact on me and has helped me the most. 

The treatment team that I had was the best, I want to thank both my therapist and BS for everything, I honestly don't know what I would have done without them. They helped me in ways that I had never imagined possible, they brought things out of me that I never knew existed. They just made the entire stay less scary.

I was in this program for 45 days and I will never forget them. During this stay I met a handful of friends that have changed my life and will be lifelong friends. My roomate was the first one, we related to one another on unbelievable levels and she just made everything bearable. She was always willing to talk to me when it was midnight when I couldn't sleep or we would fool around and play midnight basketball when we couldn't sleep lol, something that the staff had no idea about :) The other three were all in the program with me, I spent everyday with them and they saw me during my darkest times and I think that's why we became so close. It's hard to share this part of your life with people, but they made it easy. 

The entire experience just changed my life, that was when the recovery really began. 

So, if anyone is ever struggling with mental health and they need somewhere I highly suggest Rogers. They don't only have inpatient services, they also have partial hospitalization and intensive outpatient. They have locations throughout Wisconsin and in a few other states.

I doubt it, but if anyone from Rogers is reading this I want to thank you, thank you so so much. You will never know just how much you have helped me.