Thoughts On The 'Roots' Remake

Thoughts On The 'Roots' Remake

Now is the time to keep your body and your mind focused on love, peace, growth and positive vibes!

9
Thoughts On The 'Roots' Remake
Wikipedia

“Keep the body, take the mind!” A White British slave owner by the name of Willie Lynch presented that specific excerpt when he wrote a letter and shared it with White American slave owners on the bank of the James River in the colony of Virginia in 1712. He was invited to teach White American slave owners heinous practices that were created primarily to keep African slaves psychologically, physically and spiritually broken, controlled and bound to a life of slavery for centuries to come. This specific phrase resonated in my heart two weeks ago after watching the remake of "Roots" the movie, which was originally written by Alex Haley. As an African America woman who is passionate about meeting new people and learning about new cultures, I am just as aware of the importance of acknowledging, celebrating, and always remembering my own ancestor’s history.

When I first heard that the remake of "Roots" was going to show on the History Channel from Monday, May 30 to Thursday, June 2, I knew that I had to see it! I made a four-night movie schedule with two girlfriends who were also interested in learning more about our shared history. The remake of "Roots" was amazing and did an exceptional job of documenting and sharing the timeline of slavery in the American colonies from the stealing of great African warriors and strong women from African communities, through the middle passage, to the Southern plantation life and onward to American Black people gaining their freedom after the Civil war had ended. The movie was written about Kunta Kinte and his family members who exemplified strength, hope, resilience and courage. We watched as they not only endured the hardships of slavery, but overcame and successfully kept their families stories, traditions, language, and warrior courage in their hearts.

Although, “Keep the body, take the mind” was coined by Willie Lynch over 300 years ago, the same phrase can directly apply to many situations that we face as a result of our cultural, economic, political, educational, sexual and religious backgrounds. My message is in no way trying to disregard or lessen the history from which the term was conceptualized. However, I am making the argument that this message is still very much alive.

We are subconsciously and consciously given messages through social media, families, friends, colleagues, associates, clubs, religious groups and ourselves to name a few. These messages often tell us that we need to constantly work on improving ourselves. We internalize messages that often lead us to believe that we are not good enough the way we are and that we must need fixing. We are fed messages that say there is always something we can do to become more attractive, more intelligent and more well-rounded. If you do not believe me, I challenge you to explore your own mind. If you send yourself as well as others more positive messages than negative messages you are ahead of the game.

We often send ourselves messages that our backbone would question if placed on trial. As humans, we work hard at looking good, maintaining that body, keeping our clothes on fleek, make-up was done, shoe game on point and hair looking runway ready. But, what about our minds and spirits? Are our minds and spirits, guarded, protected, supported and cherished? Are we keeping our own minds strong and healthy or are we letting violence, hate, inequalities, disappointments, rejection, unattainable goals, bullies, stress and unfair norms take the best of them?

Today, I challenge you to keep your mind and your body in a positive, supportive, loving, peaceful and accepting space! It is a journey that you can’t successfully travel alone, although you may need to take mini-trips on your own. I encourage you to continue on Life’s journey to find self-acceptance, self-worth, and self-love on those days when you might not get the compliments you believe you deserve, your Facebook pictures might not get as many likes as you expected, and your friends and loved ones might not be around to comfort you. Take your mind to a place of love abundance, grace and growth. Be your own cheerleader and best friend. In 2016, African-Americans whose ancestors endured slavery have come a long way and are occupying, thriving and contributing in various professional, social, religious, economic, educational, athletic and political fields. Even though the fight to survive, live, grow and be great is an upward battle and very real, we must keep going. We must take and keep our own minds and our bodies! We must never give up, but move forward in peace, love and grace.