If You Have Nothing Of Quality To Write, Don't Write Anything At All

Just because you can write something doesn't mean you should.

99
Brooke Cagle

Before I begin, I would like to say how thankful I am that I was given an opportunity to be a Content Creator for Odyssey.

Through my position, my main goals have been to connect with a larger audience by writing content that they can identify with while also growing my confidence in my written work.

I started reading Odyssey content well before I applied to be a writer, and I'm so happy that I came across Odyssey when I did.

I read numerous Odyssey articles that helped me cope with moving away from home to start college, learning how to be independent, how to deal with heartbreak, etc.

These articles were extremely helpful to me during my Freshman year of college, which was one of the hardest years of my life.

When I got accepted to write for Odyssey back in September, I knew that my number one goal would be to publish quality content that could potentially help out the reader with their personal struggles, as that's what Odyssey did for me.

However, lately I have noticed a trend taking place as far as the "quality articles" that Odyssey has been sharing on their main page, and quite frankly, I'm less than content with this content.

In a general sense, the articles that Odyssey has chosen to share lately have been doing more harm than good.

I've read articles that promote disgusting mindsets and actions, such as excusing toxic behavior in relationships, allowing jealousy to get in the way of marriage, focusing on outer appearance rather than internal health and well-being, and belittling feminists for trying to raise up our voices.

I could go on for days, but to me, these articles seemed to be the most problematic.

When these kinds of articles are the ones that get fame, recognition and even money for spewing out negativity, it makes me sick to my stomach.

People that read our articles will have a skewed perspective on what Odyssey stands for.

First of all, when you choose to write things like that, you're making yourselves look like fools.

Though Odyssey is a fun extra-curricular activity, it is also a professional internship that many choose to put on their resume, including myself.

To those of you seeking employment, especially in the writing world: no one is going to hire you with that kind of content on your page. It makes you look unprofessional and rude.

A good majority of the Odyssey Content Creators are college women whom younger girls look up to.

Some of these girls are about to start college, and they are in need of guidance.

Write articles about how to handle college. Write about mental health. Write about things that young girls need to hear.

Don't project trashy mindsets onto the next generation of young women through your subpar articles. We need to build each other up now more than ever.

Before you publish your next article, think about the person on the other end. Think of ways you can make a difference in their lives.

If your content isn't quality, we don't want it.