A Note To My Post-Graduation Self

A Note To My Post-Graduation Self

A short pep-talk for those of us about to jump into the "real world."

17
A Note To My Post-Graduation Self
Wall Street Journal

Don’t panic. As the weeks wind down and classes come to an end, I know it’s impossible to think of anything else but walking on that stage decked out in a purple cap and gown. Graduation isn’t even the scariest part; it’s what comes next. Whatever that may be, it’s still a mystery and mysteries are both exhilarating and terrifying.

Explore and try new things

But I’m telling you now… don’t worry too much. It doesn’t matter if everyone in your family and everyone else you meet who knows you’re about to complete a degree keeps asking what comes next. You don't have to commit to anything just yet. Dip your feet into everything you love, which is a lot. Don’t think you need to have everything figured out, that’s very limiting and will make you anxious.

There isn't one way to do anything

There are no rules, this is your life and you can pave any path you so please. You’ve already accomplished so much, you may have started out doing this for others, trying to live up to their visions of you, but now the power is completely in your hands. If you want to drop everything and move far away from everyone you know and start fresh, you can do it now. If you want to work in a cozy calming book store rather than behind a desk at a publishing company, so be it. Life isn’t all about stacks, your happiness and sanity count so much more. Money comes and goes, ground yourself in yourself. Ground yourself in things that matter.

It's your time now

Remember, you don’t owe anyone except yourself. You don’t have to impress people, they don’t have to like you and who cares what they have to say anyway. You don’t have to do things to one up the people you once knew, walk in your purpose and don’t look back. It's your time now, you only have to live up to the expectations and goals you set for yourself. When you get caught up in the “you should's” you miss out on the “why not's” and those are often the most fulfilling opportunities. It will be OK. You’ve come this far and there’s a big wide world out there waiting for your footprints!