As a college student now in her fourth year of college, you would think I would have this whole “school” thing figured out by now. Ha! That couldn’t be farther from the truth. Underclassmen are constantly asking me for help on various homework assignments, advice on time management, and how I ever kept my cumulative GPA above average. The thing is though, I rarely know anything about how to help with homework unless it involves writing, my time management is non-existent and my procrastination is expert level. And my GPA? Simple. I love my degree. But do not let that fool you. I have made my fair share of B’s and C’s and even D’s throughout my college career. I have skipped classes, failed tests, and yes, forgotten to turn in a an assignment or two. I am not the best student. Quite frankly, I make a terrible student. I don’t study as much as I should for tests, I procrastinate, I fail tests and quizzes, I oversleep, and no, I definitely don’t make straight A’s. There are a couple semesters where I haven’t even made straight B’s. But you know what? That’s OK. I may struggle at school sometimes and juggling my classes, campus organizations, job, and sorority, but what I do have is personality. Work ethic. Passion. Dedication. Imagination. And that is all I need. I am not one who enjoys school. My personality is more fit for a scheduled lifestyle where my work has purpose and each day I know what I am doing. I may not be a great student, but I will make a great employee after graduation.

Throughout my college career, the happiest and most successful moments I had, involved my job. Within a couple months at my current retail job I had been promoted, started a social media platform obtaining more than 2,000 followers within two weeks, created social networks with my co-workers, and was looked to as a leader and one of our top saleswomen. When I asked my employers from my internship this summer why I stood out from the other interviewees, I was told I had personality and confidence and new ideas I wasn’t afraid to share even though I was coming in as the youngest and newest member of the communications team. I didn’t learn all of that from sitting in a classroom listening to lectures. I learned this from having amazing parents who constantly encouraged me to be myself and from working at my retail job for the past year and a half where I work with customers every single day. I solve problems, gained confidence, respected and gained respect, grew as a leader, and constantly thought of new ideas I brought to the table without fear of being turned away. I am not a great student, but I am a successful individual.

Okay. So I am definitely not saying to give up on your education or skip studying for that test you have next week, I’m just saying don’t stress out about that test you didn’t get a good enough grade on or the fact your semester grades were not straight A’s. It is Okay to not be a 4.0 student or the valedictorian. Your grades and GPA are not the only thing standing between getting a job after college or determine whether or not you will become successful. You are. Show you try and have a passion for something. Be a hard worker and have confidence in yourself and respect those around you. Be yourself. Grades are important, but not as important as having great work ethic and desire for success. Those are what employers are going to be searching for. Not a 4.0 and a resume without community involvement or a personality. I may just be an average college student who struggles more than most, or so it seems, but I am a motivated individual excited to bring new ideas and passion to the work force I decide to join after graduation. And honestly, I cannot wait.