Why I Am Not Rushing To Rush

Why I Am Not Rushing To Rush

I felt that joining the Greek life would hinder my ability to grow as an individual.

55
Playbuzz.com

The Greek life at Syracuse University is amazing. It is very prominent and has a big role in many students’ lives. It brings together all different people to unify them as one family. To those struggling to find the right friends during their first semester, it gives them an opportunity to find the niche they belong in. For those trying to network and build new connections, this process opens doors and new relations. The ability to help out in different philanthropic causes and find lifelong connections is what is best about the Greek life here. However, for where I currently am in life, joining Greek life would hinder my ability to grow as an individual.

Growing up, I was surrounded by a very homogeneous society. My small town was not diverse, and I became one of few minorities of that population. I learned and accepted that I was one of the only Asians in my school. However, as my next stage in life as a college student approached, my desire to expand and find a more diverse group got stronger. I wanted the next four years to be a time where I got to experience different types of people, organizations, and events – it was my time to branch out. I did consider rushing to taste what this organization had to offer. However, when I attended an information session with all girls interested in joining, it hit me how similar the atmosphere of my possible rush class was to my graduating class in high school. I began to question my desire to rush. Was I only rushing because of my friends? Did I really want to take part in this organization?

When rushing and joining a sorority, I believe one should be truly devoted and immersed in the process. One should aspire to wear the letters of their house. However, I did not feel that fire. Looking at the Greek letters was similar to looking at hieroglyphics. I realized I had no interest in finding what sorority represented what philanthropic cause nor did I try to. Once again, I felt myself moving along with the crowd that surrounded me. I think it is wonderful that so many girls are rushing to enter a new environment. However, with a stronger desire to expand myself, I chose not to rush. It is perfectly okay to try new things and float around, exposing yourself to unfamiliar territory. I have learned that by pushing yourself to be in uncomfortable situations can bring great awards, such as making new friends or discovering new job opportunities. I chose to take this time to grow, flourish, and develop as a new person out in the (somewhat) real world. If I do choose to rush next year, I know I will have an amazing experience, but for now, I am perfectly happy with where I am.