Offensive memes

Before You Meme, Think About What You're Saying And Who You're Offending

Everything you say has consequences.

71
https://www.instagram.com/p/BOgLHXHAABz/

Is it funny or disgusting?

Over the course of this past year, I have seen so many memes, jokes, and pokes of fun at mental health, racism, homophobia, and sexism.

The common responses to these:

"Issa joke!"

"Well, you're taking it too seriously."

"It's supposed to be funny, quit being offended by everything."

"Where's your sense of humor?"

Granted, most people are aware that they are meant solely for that purpose and that no actual harm is meant.

However…

Insulting a community is not funny. So many people are constantly harassed for their sexuality, beliefs, religion, race. Jokes about ending a race of people around aren't funny, they've been through enough. Everyone is entitled to believe what they want-yes, even if they are wrong, there is a much more respectful way to talk to them then to tear them down. Religion is something that is highly personal to people, and if you mess with their belief system, it really does hurt them. Gay people don't need to be constantly asked if they're going switch back, and they don't need to explain their choices to you. And the race thing I would think that we as a people are much more evolved, but I still see so much hate towards people it's unreal.

Yes, memes and jokes are something that can lighten a mood, make someone smile. And that's something that should be valued, one hundred and ten percent. But at the same time, when is your "joke" going too far? How are you reacting if it does?

"Issa Joke!" - Yes, but you're furthering intolerance, homophobia, and biases that people have been fighting against for years. So sorry if I don't find it funny that you're promoting ignorance.

"Well, you're taking it too seriously." Maybe I am, but at the same time, these are subjects are something that is so sensitive that it makes almost no sense why you're making fun of it.

"It's supposed to be funny, quit being offended by everything." Well, what you're saying is completely uncalled for and it really is offensive. I'm sorry that you can't see how disgusting what you just posted is, but when you can stop being upset with me for pointing that out I'd love to have a mature discussion with you about it.

"Where's your sense of humor?" If I found it funny you would know. I'm truly sorry that I didn't find it funny.

All of that to say this: there is a fine line between funny and offensive or disgusting. The next time you look at a meme or a funny post, think about the implications of what it's saying. Think about what it's saying. Think about who you're sending to. While you may think that it's funny, it can be completely uncalled for to someone else. Sometimes we don't realize the how far we take humor as a society, and it's making those who actually think about consequences look easily offended.