I'm Not "Basic" And I'm Doing Just Fine

I'm Not "Basic" And I'm Doing Just Fine

iPhones, Starbucks, And Shoes! Oh My!

14
I'm Not "Basic" And I'm Doing Just Fine
Pintrest

“OMG, you are SOOO basic!”

This is a phrase I have never heard anyone say to me in my life. In today’s society, girls grow up hearing the word “basic” and associate it with drinking Starbucks, buying expensive clothes, having the best and newest iPhone, and eating chocolate. Essentially, it is someone who follows trends without unique qualities. The term “basic” is perceived by some women as a positive thing that they aspire to be. The phrase “you’re so basic” is something in our society that has become normal. However, the harsh reality is that being a “basic” girl is nothing but a negative stereotype of how girls act.

Personally I am not, nor have I ever been, a fan of Starbucks. This is the number one thing people associate with being “basic.” Women who are “basic” will tend to carry Starbucks with them all the time, have a Starbucks rewards card, and during the fall season, will be raving over the Pumpkin Spice Latte. I am not a coffee drinker. You would never see me with a Starbucks cup or virtually anywhere inside a Starbucks store, unless I’m with a friend of mine who wants it. Even then, the chances are very slim.

People look at me weirdly when I say I don’t go to Starbucks or that I don’t like Starbucks. This is the same situation with chocolate. I can’t stand chocolate. You will never see me eating or talking about chocolate. It’s almost like I’m letting down the women of the world. Excuse me while I go spend my money on other things, like school and vacations, while you have spent all your money on your billionth Starbucks drink that you don’t need, while I eat something else that won’t rot my teeth like chocolate.

Fall is when you hear most people say that women are “basic” because of the clothes they wear. This typical “basic” girl outfit includes leggings, a scarf, some Pink shirt that you spent over $50 on, and don’t forget the Uggs. When it’s not fall, the outfit of a basic girl will still include leggings with white converse. No matter what the season is, you can also expect this “basic” girl’s attire to include lots a designer makeup (or a lot of makeup on in general), a designer purse (potentially a different one for every day) and, of course, some form of Starbucks in one hand and their newest iPhone in the other.

There are multiple things wrong with this picture. For one, I have an iPhone, but I haven’t purchased a new phone in years and honestly owning the newest and most expensive iPhone isn’t on my list every year to get. My phone has been working fine for multiple years, and if I can keep using it, then why would I want to spend all that money to get a new phone? Also, I understand that Uggs were cool, but that was in middle school. I almost will never wear Uggs anywhere anymore. I won’t even spend more than $20 on shoes. Does that sound like a basic girl? I don’t think so.

I have listened to women I am close to debate who is the most “basic” of our friends. I have heard this for years. Who cares if you are basic? When you go to a job interview, do you think being a basic girl is going to come up in conversation and get you a job? I don’t think so. The boss isn’t going to care if you own Uggs or drink Starbucks religiously. That boss is going to want to know what qualities about you make you a different and unique person more than anyone else that they will meet.

In the end, we need to influence girls away from the image and term of being a “basic” girl. I’ve never been, nor will I ever be a basic girl, and I am doing just fine. I go to a great school, have an amazing job, unique and funny friends, and enjoy every moment of my life. We need to remind girls to not be basic, but instead to be their own person.