A Message From Your Local Bra Burner

A Message From Your Local Bra Burner

FEMINISM HELL YEAH

8
A Message From Your Local Bra Burner

A couple weeks ago one of my co-writers wrote an article on how they are not a feminist. And okay, it is true that we have moved away from Susan B. Anthony's form of feminism. But that does not mean that what is in place now is wrong or not appropriate for this day in age. That doesn’t mean you should throw the idea away. That doesn’t mean that you should say that you don’t need feminism because we as a civilization have progressed in time.

You don’t need feminism? What do you mean you don’t need feminism? You need to get paid seventy-nine cents to every man’s dollar? You need to live in a culture that glorifies male aggression and rape simply by saying “boys will be boys?” You need to live in a world in which men get picked on and emasculated for filling traditionally female roles? You don’t need feminism?

Well, that’s fine if you don’t. But I do.

I need feminism so that my boyfriend no longer associates an expression of emotions and weakness. So that when my daughter, or sisters, or cousins or friends walk on the streets alone they don’t feel like they have to call someone to be safe – and not just at night, but during all hours of the day. I need feminism so that I never have to hear the phrase “boys will be boys” again. Boys will be held responsible for their actions just as anyone else. They do not get a pass simply because gravity has an effect on their genitals. Your gender is not an excuse for your actions. You are not a girl if you cry, and violence is still inexcusable even though you are a "man".

I need feminism because I like sex. I do not deserve to be called a whore or a slut or a skank just because I am sexually active. And enjoy being so. Because ask any man, at any age, if he’s had sex. Ask him with how many girls. The more girls, the more game. His number is celebrated. And for us girls, we are ridiculed if we have any number larger than one. That’s not fair.

I need feminism because I am not automatically a bitch when I get angry. I am entitled to my anger. I do not need to be cooed and coddled back down to a calm, more “rational” state. I am angry. Men are allowed to be angry, so why can’t we? Women are crazy, women are weak, or even a bitch for having emotions.

I need feminism because I am not some vapid, emotionless, sex-hole for men. Just because I am a woman does not mean that I am entitled to laundry, to dishes, to anger, to demands. I am a human, a person with wants, goals and dreams just like men. I need feminism so that someone can finally understand that I am just like men.

I am comfortable with being known as a "bra burner" if it means that I stood up for something. And I am so sorry that someone might be so afraid of being labeled as a radical feminist, that you have to go on to say things like feminist hate men and refused to stand up for women of color.

Being a feminist is not about growing out your armpit hair and never wearing a bra, although I do both of those things and they're pretty awesome. It's still all about what Susan B. Anthony was doing in the past: making the world aware that there is no equality, and we will no longer stand for it.

Love,
Your Local Bra Burner