I'm Not An Alcoholic, I'm Just A College Student

A college student who likes to have a little too much fun.

194
College Wine

You know that "one tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor" quote? Yeah, I am very fond of that quote. Not just because it's funny and it rhymes, but because it is an actual representation of my life. I love tequila. No, really- I LOVE TEQUILA. It's a problem that runs in my family, and apparently, with every other college individual. Who doesn't love the taste of tequila and all its different types? Oh yes, I am very familiar with all the tequilas out there. Well, all the affordable ones on a student budget, at least. And let's be completely honest, they aren't the best ones out there. The best are always the most expensive, but who has the money for that nowadays.

I not only love tequila, though, I also love beer and wine. Yes, I am blessed with having no preference for what alcohol I would rather consume. I don't mind vodka, whiskey, bourbon, rum, gin... wow, is your mouth watering like mine is right now? Do you feel like going out and drinking right now too? I wish I was kidding, really I do. I am blessed with having no preference (although secretly I do), but I am cursed with liking alcohol that much... I mean, it is poison.

I am not an alcoholic.

I had to repeat that a few times while I was living and studying in Santa Barbara, the number one party school (sorry Arizona). I used to party so much over there, it's insane. I remember that my parents would worry I didn't want to go out when I would come back home. They'd ask me what was wrong with me, why I didn't want to go out and have a good time, go partying. Didn't they understand that the two years that I partied in Santa Barbara where the equivalent of what people party in a lifetime?

I don't know if every college student has gone through a "quitting" stage and not go out and party. I did- it lasted a good year and a few months, but being 21 is a dangerous thing with friends who love to have a good time. Not to mention myself; I love to have a good time as well, and that tequila. Like I said, I am not an alcoholic. I am just a girl who likes her alcohol, who likes to drink various forms of it in every setting (except school and in the car, of course). I'm just a girl who likes to have a glass of wine after a long lecture on contemporary social theory or who likes going out with friends and having a couple (six?) beers after a busy week full of midterms and essays. I am just one of those girls, and I bet there are many of you out there too, and it's okay.

I am telling you, it is not considered alcoholism until we are out of college. After we graduate, though, we should really consider how many sake booms are a good idea or how many shots of tequila we really need to have a good time at that frat party we didn't even want to go to. After we graduate and can no longer play the "but I'm in college" card, we are going to have to really think before we party that much. Until then, my fellow college students, drink away. Just be sure to do it responsibly and have a Gatorade, Electrolytes, or coconut water ready and waiting for you in the refrigerator. And if you are like me, have a beer and some chips ready for the hangover the next day. Hey, I swear I am not an alcoholic- just a college student.