Being In A Sorority Doesn't Make Me A "Sorority Girl"

Being In A Sorority Doesn't Necessarily Make Me A "Sorority Girl"

Why you shouldn't let the stereotype define your experience

39
Daniella Masrour

Going into my first year of college, I was 100% positive that I wanted to be a "sorority girl". I had obsessed over the rush process and couldn't wait to run home to the house I ended up in on Bid Day.

I thought I was born to sing sorority anthems with my sisters.

I thought I would only be friends with the girls in my sorority.

I thought going Greek would change my life forever.

Sororities, and Greek life in general, have become notorious for a stereotype that is widely-accepted across most college campuses. This stereotype is exactly what I thought I would be getting myself into when I went through recruitment. And oddly enough, I was ecstatic about it. I could not wait another second until I was the classic "sorority girl."

To be completely frank, the beginning of life in a sorority did seem a little like the stereotype makes it out to be. I did live my dream of "running home" on Bid Day, and for the most part, my friends were all my sorority sisters in the first few weeks of school. I loved the experience, but couldn't stand the way some people who weren't a part of Greek life reacted when I told them I was in a sorority. This made me wonder why people perceive Greek life the way they do, and how the unfair stereotype came to be in the first place.

By being more observant around campus, I started to notice how girls who wore Greek life apparel always walked with other girls also wearing Greek life apparel. I noticed that most Greek life members' social media accounts featured mostly photos of them with other fellow Greek life members. Quickly, I realized why people think sorority members are the exclusive and bitchy girls many people think of them as.

And as soon as I made this realization, I felt disappointed in myself for wanting people to think of me as a stereotypical "sorority girl."

It is impossible to group as many sorority girls as there are in the world into one classification. In other words, it is impossible for there to be such a specific stereotype classifying so many people. I discovered that I could still be in a sorority and live the Greek life experience without having that stereotypical personality. I started to become close friends with people not only in other houses, but even more so with non-Greek people.

In fact, some of my best friends aren't Greek life participants.

Nevertheless, I still get to experience all the amazing things Greek life has to offer. I love my sorority friends, I love Greek events, and I am grateful for the experience I've had for teaching me that there is so much more to Greek life that what the stereotype lets on. All of this being said, I don't like having the title of a "sorority girl." I think those two words combined have an unfairly negative connotation.

But still, I am proud to be in a sorority.