Being In A Sorority Doesn't Mean I'm Stupid

I am a biology major and I am in a sorority.
104

"Oh you are in a sorority, what's your major?" This question I usually follow up with biology with a pre-med concentration and then I get a weird stare because everyone assumes sorority girls should have easy majors, although every major has its challenges. I am a biology major and I want to be a doctor, why is this shocking?

There is a stereotype surrounding girls in sororities that television, movies, and the media have created. People think sororities have huge houses and are at the top of some made-up social hierarchy. Supposedly we haze, party, and have random hook-ups all the time. This couldn't be farther from the truth and I attend one of the most notorious colleges for its parties.

My college's focus is on research and my sororities focus is on community involvement. I have had more opportunities while being involved in my organization than I would have had otherwise. I am involved with the community and I have worked with several non-profit groups. My experiences are something I can put on medical school applications and job applications.

I have also met many girls that I have connections with. We have a variety of girls from different majors including nursing, business, and even math. These are girls that in the future I can use as references and connections I can use to help me gain a job.

Being a part of a sorority doesn't mean you can't be smart. If anything it gives you an edge when it comes to community service and community connections. It makes you more sociable and allows you to learn skills you normally wouldn't.