6 Of The Worst Sorority Girl Stereotypes That Everyone Believes But Aren't True

The worst sorority stereotypes that everyone thinks is true, but in reality, isn't anything they would expect.

256

Throughout my whole life, I've always heard sorority stereotypes ranging from family members, friends, and even strangers. Most of it was solely based off of what movies and TV shows have depicted it as or even the worst real-life horror stories of hazing.

In reality, from becoming a sister of a sorority, I know it isn't anything like the stereotypes. I was terrified of joining a sorority and never did I think that I would join one in college. It actually turned out to be one of the best things I've ever done, but the stereotypes are still out there and they still aren't true.

I've given myself an opportunity to take and joining a sorority, to me, was a big one. I wasn't ready, but I still wanted to give it a shot and at least say I got the experience. Sorority life isn't anything you think it would be, and there are so many stereotypes surrounding it. Here are a few harmful stereotypes you might come across that you should be wary of:

1. All we ever do is party.

Even if you weren't in a sorority, you would still party in college. You aren't forced to party if you don't want to (aka that's hazing) and you have a right to choose if you want to party with sisters or not. I've never felt pressured to do so and that's not all that we do in a sorority. We have philanthropy events, community service, chapter meetings, socials, etc. Sororities do a lot to expand their reputation and partying is not really one of them, I promise.

2. All sorority girls are fake.

c1.staticflickr.com

This one definitely isn't true. Every sorority girl has a personality, trust me. Being in a sorority doesn't mean you have to look perfect at all times. You don't have to wear pounds of makeup and keep your pretty blonde hair straightened. It definitely doesn't work like that.

You're allowed to be comfortable in your own skin and when going through recruitment, you have to be yourself so that you're put in the sorority that you're meant to be in. Going through recruitment and meeting some girls who might seem fake, probably aren't. They're probably really nervous and don't really know what to say so they're going to seem kind of fake to you. You meet so many different girls who all have their own unique traits, they're all going to be a little quirky, and it should always be like that.

3. Only rich girls join a sorority.

https://unsplash.com/photos/_3Q3tsJ01nc

Sure, some girls have money, but NOT ALL girls have money. Dues for sororities definitely are expensive, but it's up to the girl if she finds it all worth it. Some girls pay for their own dues (me) and work our butts off to get the money to pay for it. Financial probation is a thing and it is common for girls to get on financial probation because yes, it is expensive, and you might not have the money up front. Not all of our rich daddies are paying for our sorority dues. Some girls pay their own and most of us aren't as "rich" as you think.

4. You have your friends handed to you. 

https://unsplash.com/photos/pOXHU0UEDcg

Finding friends in a sorority is just as hard as finding friends if you lived in a dorm. You still have to step out of your comfort zone and be outgoing to find friends. It might be just a tad easier to find friends in a sorority because you've already shared so many memories and have all gone to events together, that friendships just start forming.

People think that with joining a sorority, you just have your friendship handed to you, but it doesn't quite work like that. Many girls drop because they feel like they didn't have any friends in the sorority and didn't find a point to keep moving along with it. So no, you definitely have to form friendships on you're own.

5. We care about social life more than academics. 

Back to School Essentials photo by Matt Ragland (@mattragland) on Unsplash

unsplash.com

This one is a big fat no. Being a sorority, you have to meet academic goals. You need to have a good, or high, GPA and you're required to have a certain amount of study hours per week. If not, you can be put on academic probation. To even join Greek Life at a college, you must have a certain GPA or you can be put on probation.

There have been many times when I've missed events or a party to go and study/do homework. I've made it a priority, and honestly, if I wasn't in a sorority, I wouldn't be as motivated to keep my academics up. Academics is such an important aspect in joining a sorority that sometimes we might have to miss out on our social life.

6. It's a cult.

If it was a cult, I promise I wouldn't be sitting here writing this article. Just because you see those two girls swiftly open the double doors and you see a big group of girls clapping and singing does not mean that it's a cult. It's to seem inviting and cute, not be seen as a cult.

In the movies, they have made this a big stereotype especially with hazing, but sororities aren't cults, I promise. We've come a long way with doing cute philanthropy events and donating community service hours, a cult isn't even in our vocabulary. Sororities want to have a sisterhood bond, and because of the old traditions they still follow, some rituals like initiation may seem "cultish" but in reality aren't at all.

Before I ever joined a sorority, I believed each and every single one of these stereotypes. I'm glad I took a chance in doing recruitment because it has brought me so many friendships and memories I don't ever want to let go of. A lot of these stereotypes will most likely live on, but from my experience, not one of these stereotypes have become true and I'm sure a lot of other sorority girls can agree.

I wouldn't give it up for the world and I've been surprised a lot throughout my time of being in a sorority and have realized that it's a lot more than just all the frat boys you meet and all the relations you get to have. From doing cute philanthropy events, sisterhood retreats, semi-formal and formal, etc. you get to keep some of the best experiences you will ever go through in your life.

So don't believe any of these countless sorority stereotypes.