Nostalgia Of Photo Albums

Nostalgia Of Photo Albums

They are going to make a come back, I swear.

90

Photo albums kind of seem like a lost tradition. It was something that people used to store their favorite moments in time and they made sure the albums were filled up with memories. Nowadays, with iphones, tablets and other kinds of technology that can store photos, it's not as relevant. Thanks to social media, you can post all of your photos immediately to the entire world or share them amongst your friends instantly, and there is no need for a physical album—it's all out there already. But having the physical albums as something to sit down with and look through with friends and family is something that neither the internet nor devices can provide.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with social media—I think it is one of the greatest things to ever happen to society. And I'm going to be the first to say that Snapchat and Instagram are easily two of the best things on my phone, and I love them more than anything. But there is just something so nostalgic about having an album full of photos. I think it has to do with the fact that you can hold the photos in your hands and you can, almost, touch them. Touch the memories. You can hold these memories close to you. You can put physical photographs in your wallet or in your pocket and carry them with you at all times. They're much more tangible than pictures on a phone, which is probably why I always keep photos around.

The other great thing about having all of your memories printed out is that you can turn those pictures into a scrapbook, a collage or a visual journal. It gives you a way to write more about a particular photo—what was going on in it that made you want to capture it and save it. My sister does a lot of scrapbooking, and it's so much fun to sit down and look through all of the memories that she has captured and the creative way that she put them together. She even inspired me to make a few scrapbooks of my own.

There is just something so great about being able to flip through a photo album and look at progressions of photos. I found a few photo albums of me when I was a baby and there were so many pictures of people in there that are no longer with us anymore. It's so wonderful to be able to see them paused in time. To be able to look at those pictures and see all of those amazing moments captured, and even though I obviously don't remember them, I remember looking through the photos when I was younger. Up until only a little while ago, I still felt the same things that I did years before.

I know that social media is, arguably, the greatest platform to date, but I want to make sure that if someday Facebook is taken down, that I have a place for all of my memories. I will never lose the nostalgia of my photos and the albums that will forever hold their place in my heart.