I Am Northern Kentucky Proud

I Am Northern Kentucky Proud

I am proud to come from a place that is so rich in tradition and history.

18
I Am Northern Kentucky Proud
Heather C. Watson

Kentuckians have many commonalities to cherish. From Bluegrass music and horse racing traditions to natural wonders and hand-crafted bourbon, the state of Kentucky is its own functioning society.

However, every region of the state maintains an individualized way of life. Even though most Kentuckians embrace the collegiate battle between the University of Louisville and the University of Kentucky, regional citizens live vastly different lives.

Northern Kentucky (NKY) stands as one of these unique regions, and I wouldn't want roots in any other area. There are endless sites to visit when you travel to the area, and residents are always anxious to give you a tour.

Most Kentuckians laughingly refer to Northern Kentucky as "Southern Ohio," for life in NKY is influenced by both states. Cradled by the Ohio River, NKY bustles with traffic flooding from the surrounding cities, yet the region maintains its agricultural roots.

We may have a sign that reads "Florence Y'all," but that familiar Kentucky draw becomes more and more scattered as traffic moves farther north.

The Kentucky Speedway hosts one of the largest sporting events of the year, hosting at least 106,000 fans. Gallatin County greatly appreciates the revenue.

The John A. Roebling Suspension Bridge clings to Kentucky, providing us with a musical hum. With every walk across the bridge, the movie "Rain Man" comes to mind.

Immediately after crossing the Ohio River, we have easy access to Great American Ball Park (home of the Cincinnati Reds) and Paul Brown Stadium (home of the Cincinnati Bengals). NKY may not currently want to claim either team after the previous seasons, though...

When we need a scenic drive, Rabbit Hash welcomes us with relaxing arms; Mayor Brynneth Pawltro will soon invite visitors to the newly restored Rabbit Hash General Store.

Near Carrollton, Big Bone Lick State Park remains, detailing a history of roaming mammoths who later perished in the quagmire. Only fossils remain to capture the history, and we love to picnic and camp in the area.

Also, Boone County is home to a house that once hosted Theodore Roosevelt. According to the official website for The Dinsmore Homestead, it "is a unique historic site where visitors can learn what rural life was like in the 19th and early 20th centuries...It is a resource for students and scholars and an area where artists can sketch and paint. Those who enjoy antiques and historic interiors delight in touring the house that contains the original accumulated belongings of five generations of the Dinsmore family." We always loved the field trips to this site.

I have always loved Northern Kentucky, and I am proud to come from a place that is so rich in tradition and history. This piece is far from a comprehensive list; I wrote about many of my favorite places. So, if you aren't from Northern Kentucky, take some time to do some research! NKY has a lot to offer!

We may pack and move, but Northern Kentucky will always be home.

“How often have I lain beneath rain on a strange roof, thinking of home.” -William Faulkner