18 Signs You're A Northerner At A Southern University

You guys really do things differently.
12927

The South is more than just a region – it’s an experience. When you move there from the North for school, the culture shock can be real. If you’re a Northerner at a Southern school, you’ve probably noticed all these things:

1. You’re always being asked, “How did you end up here?”

You moved so far from home that people can’t help wondering why you did it. Bonus points if you didn’t know anyone where you were moving.

2. You’re always talking about home.

At least 40 percent of your sentences start with “Back at home…” Your friends thought it was exciting to hear about at first, but now they just want you to shut up.

3. You have a “northern accent.”

In fact, you probably didn’t even know there was a “northern” accent. You slur your sentences into one long word, and you say everything as quickly as possible. Even if everyone at home always told you that you didn’t have an accent, you definitely have one here.

Moreover, southerners don’t understand your vocabulary. Why would you call a shopping cart a “carriage” and not a buggy? What the hell is a frappe? Why do you call everyone “guys?"

4. You've started to use Southern vocabulary (maybe against your will).

When people say they’re sorry, you say they’re fine. The highway is now the interstate. Whenever you subconsciously say “y’all,” everyone pounces. What’s that? What did you say? DID I HEAR A Y’ALL?!

5. You’ve had to readjust your style ideas.

You used to wear jeans or preppy outfits in high school, but now you wear norts and oversize t-shirts. Slowly but surely, guys in too-short pastel shorts and Sperrys have become attractive.

6. You’re the blunt friend.

Or, as you like to call it, the honest friend. You’re the one in your friend group who’s not afraid to tell it like it is. Everyone is thinking it, but you’ll say it. Sometimes your brutal honesty is a little off-putting to your southern pals, but you (and they) know it’s for the best.

7. You miss unsweetened iced tea.

No one even seems to know this is a thing that exists. Not everything has to have that much sugar in it, y'all.

8. People’s first impressions of you are… interesting.

Like I said, your direct personality can be a little off-putting. This means when you ask your friends what their first impression of you was, some common words are “aggressive” and “bitchy” and “cold.” You’ve been called a yankee or maybe even a carpetbagger.

9. You’ve never seen this much camo.

What are you hiding from? Who are you hunting? Am I next?

10. You have to force yourself not to avoid eye contact with strangers.

11. You’re confused by monograms.

Why can’t your initials just stay in the right order?

12. Every time you go to school, you miss the food at home. The pizza is just better up there, I’m sorry.

13. Every time you go home, you miss the food at school.

You might as well be in a long-distance relationship with Chick-fil-A and Cookout. It’s excruciating to be apart for even a week at Thanksgiving.

14.You’re not used to being called “ma’am.”

It’s a title for old women and rude customers only.

15. You underestimated how much football would matter.

16. You underestimated how much tailgating would matter even more.

They even tailgate horse derbies here. Who knew?

17. You’re overwhelmed by all of the southern hospitality.

It’s real, y’all. You never knew an invitation to spend Easter at someone’s home because you couldn’t afford a plane ticket could mean so much.

18. You’re thankful every day that you moved south of the Mason-Dixon Line.

The opportunity to live outside of your comfort zone is

irreplaceable. No matter how much you cling to your Northern roots, you wouldn’t trade your Southern experience for anything.