No, Sir, You Do Not Need My Supervisor

No, Sir, You Do Not Need My Supervisor

I can help you if you let me.

16
No, Sir, You Do Not Need My Supervisor
http://getwindfall.com

Lately, I’ve been working a job in customer service. As such, I deal with customer problems all day. Whether it is through reporting their issues, setting things up for them, helping them with their purchases, or letting them yell at me until they feel better, I can usually help them. It is, after all, what I’ve been trained to do.

Today, however, I was attempting to help a customer and she would not give me any of the information I needed in order to find her in our system. What’s more, she was rude to me, calling me “lady” and saying that I should magically be able to find her information without her giving it to me. (Which is not how reality works.) After attempting unsuccessfully in a variety of polite ways to get her to tell me anything useful, she demanded to speak with my supervisor.

I tried once more to help her understand that her information was necessary, as even my supervisor would not be able to help her without it, but she continued to refuse, even going to far as to insult me and the company in question. Without further ado, I called my supervisor over.

Of course, when he asked her for her details she happily handed them over without fuss and without asking him why the company fairies hadn’t bestowed him with psychic powers. She was so nice to him that I think he believes I misunderstood her. I didn’t.

[rebelmouse-proxy-image https://media.rbl.ms/image?u=%2Ffiles%2F2016%2F09%2F10%2F6360906343152477461292955042_mad-men-joan-eyeroll.gif&ho=https%3A%2F%2Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=915&h=65008672e69929086823eb8ff1f5adfcbab9aa70a0d904d7a7d9ff6a2bc28b5f&size=980x&c=1921980482 crop_info="%7B%22image%22%3A%20%22https%3A//media.rbl.ms/image%3Fu%3D%252Ffiles%252F2016%252F09%252F10%252F6360906343152477461292955042_mad-men-joan-eyeroll.gif%26ho%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Faz616578.vo.msecnd.net%26s%3D915%26h%3D65008672e69929086823eb8ff1f5adfcbab9aa70a0d904d7a7d9ff6a2bc28b5f%26size%3D980x%26c%3D1921980482%22%7D" expand=1]

Normally, customers don’t bother me. I understand that when people are frustrated they lash out and that it has little, if anything, to do with me. This woman, however, seriously annoyed me. Had she given me her information, I could have helped her in a timely manner and had her on her way sooner than my supervisor could find time for her.

I believe that she refused me because I am not management. Some people feel they should always have the attention of management when they have a problem. It’s called entitlement. They feel they are above the help of regular employees. They are wrong.

Management specifically trains employees, especially customer service representatives, to help customers with everyday problems. Tell us what you need and we can have your issue resolved and you back on track for your day in a matter of minutes. Management hires us specifically for this purpose. When a customer immediately demands a supervisor, refuses to cooperate, or otherwise does not allow us to do our jobs, they are wasting our supervisors’ time, our time, and their time.

The function of supervisors is to solve the complex and serious problems for which we are not trained or do not have the clearance to work on, as well as to complete a mountain of other important tasks. Not only can it take five to ten minutes for a supervisor to be able to come over and assist, but it is also inconsiderate and wasteful to make them take their attention away from customers who actually require their assistance to resolve simple issues.

Of course, if the employee/representative assisting you is rude or actually unhelpful, you should absolutely seek a supervisor. Otherwise, trust them. They are trained to help you and will get the supervisor if your problem requires it. The system as well as your service experience will run more smoothly for it.