I Went From Having No Friends To Homecoming Queen

Ninth grade nobody even knew who I was, now I'm varsity cheer captain and homecoming queen.

3
personal photo

High school, as a lot of people say, is rough! But, high school for me started out awful. Freshman year is usually the year where people find themselves and figure out where they fit in. For me, I felt like I could never find where I fit in. Girls were ruthless especially when it came to boys. I always tried to make sure I looked my best for boys, even if I had no idea how to do makeup.

I started out playing basketball, and continuing with my passion of cheer, freshman year as well. The girls were awful with the bullying and name calling when it came to playing sports. I tried to not let it get to me and practiced even harder every day to prove them wrong. Eventually though, the bullying got to me and I quit basketball my sophomore year. I stopped practicing everyday in cheer and got worse as time progressed.

Somehow sophomore year I got my first boyfriend, who was a senior! Everything seemed to good to be true. Well it was, my boyfriend had dated me just for a dare with the popular girls. I felt like my world was over then, I didn't see a point in moving forward. Throughout it all though, I found some great friends who helped me through everything.

After all the stress with sophomore year, junior year came along. The summer before my junior year I was desperate to find new friends and escape the people at my high school. I think I signed up for every leadership conference possible and met so many people because of it. The best news was yet to come though! All the girls who were rude to me had either graduated or transferred schools. Junior year was the best year for me! I got back involved in every sport my school offered volleyball, basketball, track, and of course cheer leading. I was actually doing surprisingly well with all these sports.

Through the growth of junior year came where I'm at now, senior year. The summer before my senior year I did even more leadership conferences. I even did several political leadership conferences, which helped me find my future passion in politics. I realized I didn't need a boy to make me happy. I started focusing on my future instead of people's opinions. I ran for student body vice president and won it! I was selected as varsity cheer, basketball, and volleyball captain! Girls all over my school came up to me everyday saying how much they looked up to me.

I could have payed no mind to the young girls who admired me, but then, that would make me no better than the girls who used to bully me. I could've turn and walked away from those girls, but instead, I decided to encourage and pour into these girls the advice I have been given over the years. When queen coronation finally came around I honestly didn't expect to win. When the announcer called my name to receive the crown, I looked around and saw all the girls smiling as if they had been wanting me to win for years.

For all the girls who are going through a rough spot in high school right now, it will come to pass. High school is everything you make it. Don't listen to voices of bullies around you! Persevere and let loose the homecoming queen inside of you!