I Don't Want Children And That's Okay

I Don't Want Children And That's Okay

I just don't have that maternal instinct.

22
I Don't Want Children And That's Okay
Pinterest.com

Usually, when the topic steers to babies, people always go around saying the number of children they want in the future. Whenever it gets to me, I usually say "none" and the group erupts with “Oh, but you’ll want them later,” or “how could you NOT want a child?” or even “who will take care of you when you’re old?” The thing is, I don’t want a child because I don’t want one.

I realized that just because I’m a woman doesn’t mean that I have to pop out a child in some time in my life. When I think of children, I don’t get the warm, maternal instinct that everyone claims to have when they talk about babies. I know that I’m still young and I have time to see if I want them in the future, but as of now, I don’t want a single child.

To me, children are the building blocks to the next generation and the future of the world. They are the most important living thing because they will soon be world leaders and scientists. Bringing a child into the world means that you have to be prepared to not only shower them with love, but with education and life skills as well. I have a high respect for families that have children, and even more respect for those raising a child on their own.

With that being said, I will not bring a child into the world for my benefit. Having someone take care of you when you’re old is no reason to have a child. You have to be mentally and emotionally ready to take care of that child and provide it with all the necessary things in life. I feel that I am not ready for any of that, nor will I be anytime soon.

Some may think that it is selfish to not have children when you are perfectly able to (fertile wise), but I say that’s not selfish at all. If I know that I cannot provide a great, loving environment for a child at the time, it’s the opposite of selfish to hold back from having a baby.

Then there’s the argument of “women were made to reproduce,” and to that I say, we as women are so much more than a body. Sure, some may believe that it is their destiny to have children, and that’s perfectly okay. It also shouldn't be anyone else's business but you and your family's. No single person should dictate whether you have a child but yourself (and partner if you're in a relationship). But just as I believe that it’s okay for them to believe that, my point of view should also be considered.

Who knows, maybe 5-10 years down the line I’ll get baby fever and will be ready to have a baby. Or maybe I’ll never want a child. Just because I don’t want a child doesn’t mean I can’t help another family have a child. Egg donations are a thing and there are many families that have children because a woman out there donated her eggs to a woman who was not fertile.

Adoption or fostering is also an option if I want a child and it’s too late. As of 2014, there are over 400,000 children in the system who do not have a stable home. To provide a home to a child or several children may be other people’s calling.

Overall, I don’t want a kid, and it’s not the end of the world nor will I die alone and sad. Sometimes children are not some people’s calling and that’s okay.