19 People I Am Thanking On My Nineteenth Birthday

19 People I’m Thanking On My 19th Birthday

Nineteen people I want to thank on my nineteenth birthday (other than Ariana Grande, of course).

448
https://unsplash.com/photos/XmefirQLMfY?utm_source=unsplash&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=creditCopyText
Photo by Sergei Solo on Unsplash

I thank people so many times a day for such mundane things, such as thanking my dinner date for passing the salt. But, for my nineteenth birthday, I want to thank nineteen important people in my life so that I can show them my appreciation.

1. My mother

Stanley Veliotis

Not only have you had to deal with sharing your body for nine months and pushing me out of your womb, but you've loved and cared for me for the past nineteen years unconditionally. I can talk to you about pretty much anything, and you have comforted me through the bad times and cheered me on through the good times. Thank you for showing me every day how to be a strong and confident woman.

2. My father

Nadine Veliotis

Thanks for also taking part in my creation. But you've done so much more; you support me endlessly and help me with anything I come to you with (including most of my weekly articles that need proofreading). You're always honest, and, most importantly, looking out for me.

3. My roommate

Matthew Conde

I don't know anyone else who gasses me up as much as Ashley does as I'm getting ready to go out at night. Thank you for always giving me advice, but for also looking forward to our tea times and for putting up with my random sleep-talking.

4. My RA

Since starting college, Dom has been someone I've looked up to. Thanks for being someone who was always there for me (and the other people living in my dorm) when I didn't know who to reach out to, whether I needed school-related advice or not.

5. My boyfriend

Desiree Loyola

It's never been easier to get to know someone as it's been to get to know Zach. Thank you for always letting me be myself and for giving me some of the best pep talks I've ever received. It's so easy to have fun and let loose when you're with someone who never fails to make you smile.

6. The guy who sat next to me in philosophy class

Who knew Kevin would be the guy to introduce me to my boyfriend? I sat down next to you the second week of school and, three months after talking and studying, you casually insisted on me coming to your team's hockey party. Thanks for the invite that meant so much to me.

7. My cat

Teylor Veliotis

Not only are you one of the cutest, most precious creatures ever, but you and I have a real bond; I know this feeling isn't one-sided because Oreo definitely shows she loves me when she snuggles up next to me on rainy mornings and purrs so loudly for everyone in the house to hear. Thank you for always letting me cuddle next to you when I need cheering up.

8. My dog

Teylor Veliotis

You're a good boy, and you've really shown me how to be patient. Randy can make anyone's heart melt when you look at his big, brown eyes. He especially steals my heart when he runs to my lap for shelter during a thunderstorm. Thanks for showing be how to be there for someone when they really need it.

9. My neighbor who moved two hundred miles away

Nadine Veliotis

I met Karen about six years ago when I discovered her dogs as I was walking mine down the street. She instantly became a huge part of our family, never failing to make me laugh about any topic ever. Thank you for giving such encouraging and genuine words of wisdom.

10. My philosophy teacher

Even though I was terrified of this course because I heard it would be hard, my professor really showed me (and the rest of his students) that if you apply yourself to something, no matter how hard it is, the results can be rewarding. Thanks for teaching us to approach new subjects with an open mind and to never stop thinking, wondering, or questioning.

11. My high school guidance counselors

I knew for a long time that Fordham was my favorite university. I also knew some alumni and students from the school that I could reach out to when I had any questions. Yet, my high school guidance counselors took the time to help out all their students with the entire college searching, applying, and preparation processes. Thank you for all the effort and patience that has helped me get to the school that I now consider my home.

12. A graduate student on the football team

Teylor Veliotis

I have always been so intimidated by football guys. Yet, as soon as I met Manny, I realized that he's such a gentle giant that genuinely cares for everyone. There have been so many times where he has looked out for and motivated me. Thank you for always giving me such good advice, and for demonstrating such dedication and hard work.

13. My first friend at Fordham

The Bronx Is Blooming

I remember meeting Anni about an hour or so after I moved in. It only took me a few days to realize how thoughtful and kind she is. She really came through for me on a day I was really emotional and let me cry it out in her room even though she had laundry and studying to do. Thank you for always being so supportive and trustworthy.

14. The girl I became instant best friends with at the hockey formal

Teylor Veliotis

I was originally introduced to Des a few months earlier when I went to my first Mode Magazine meeting. But on the night of the hockey formal, I approached her since I remembered her and it was such a coincidence that we were at the same intimate gathering. After dancing the night away and taking way too many pictures, we've been gal pals ever since. Thanks for being so caring, and for all the boy, and workout, advice you give me.

15. One of my boyfriend’s best friends

Zachary Brenner

I had no idea who Kevin (not philosophy Kevin) was until I met him at a party. He's one of Zach's best friends, so I just assumed that was why he was so nice to me. But now I've realized that he's one of the most loyal guys out there. Thank you for sharing your love of movies with me, and for protecting me whenever we're at a rowdy party.

16. The quiet girl from theatre class

Teylor Veliotis

I remember for sitting next to Lauren on the very first day of class. It took us about two months to realize that we lived on the same floor, but as soon as we found this out we became such close friends. Thanks for always listening to my rants and for spending hours with me in the cafeteria.

17. The shy girl who lived on my floor

Olivia Valkenburg

I would've never guessed that AP would become one of my closest friends because she was so quiet the very first time I met her. But a few weeks later I saw her at a party, got reintroduced to her, and became besties. Thanks for always coming to my room whenever I need someone to talk to, and for giving me another excuse to visit the west coast!

18. My roommate’s best friend (and one of my closest friends)

Teylor Veliotis

I would've never met Rachel if it wasn't for Ashley inviting her to get ready in our room before a night out. She is also the one who introduced me to my favorite place to party in the Bronx, which we explored on her birthday night. Thanks for being such a good friend and for putting up with my antics.

19. The very first guy I ever kissed

I won't say your name, but you know exactly who you are. Thank you for letting me embarrass myself with my lack of experience; you've taught me well. It would've been pretty awkward for me to show such a lack of technique when I first met my boyfriend.