The Real Nightmare Before Christmas: Retail

Let's all just be cool, ok?

5

Before I begin my trek into unknown territory, let me begin by saying I love my job. My coworkers are helpful and fun; and customers can be wonderful and genuine. My place of employment offers so much; from benefits to experience to vacation days. I have it good compared to a lot of people.

But like any other job, things can become hellish sometimes. It just so happens that things become hellish in my place right around the holidays. The most wonderful time of the year (supposedly!) becomes a nightmare in no time. I'm unsure why a time that's supposed to be filled with joy, giving, and generosity turns into the exact opposite. Let's delve deeper into a scary territory, shall we?

Entitlement. This cracks me up. It seems as though the same people that cry about millennial entitlement are the same customers that come in and assume the rules don't apply to them. If an item says one per customer, why would you assume you should receive four? If you already used your ONE time only coupon, why should you receive another? I'm just not getting it. I'm all for getting the most bang for my buck, but rules apply. No one is more special than the other.

Also, what's with all the hostility? If I greet you with a smile and a welcoming demeanor, why are you screaming in my face over something I did not do/have no control over/tried to help you with. I really want to help you, I do. But please don't treat me like dirt. I deserve the same respect you do. Let's help each other out instead of digging a deeper hole!

Let's stop having the mindset that those who work in retail are below anyone else. I may just be ringing you out. gift wrapping, or helping you with an issue; but retail workers are important. Someone has to do the job, even if it's just until they finish college or find something better. We deserve the same kindness that you'd give anyone else. At least we're working!

The closer to Christmas, the angrier people get. Is it the lack of time until gift giving? Is it because they waited until the last minute, and now we don't carry the size they're interested in? Is it just pure ignorance? I'm dumbfounded by the amount of irate people I meet. I think they might need a glass of wine. Or four.

Let's make a pact, ok?

We're all going to be cool to one another. We're all going to smile and be nice. We aren't going to fuss about silly things that won't make a difference one year from now. We're gonna respect each other and help each other out. It'll be cool, ok? We're all going to be cool. We won't cuss each out. It'll be a Christmas Miracle!

Maybe in a perfect world...