I Used To Be A Night Owl, But Now I Can’t Wait To Get Up In The Mornings

There is something peaceful in waking up early.

67

I've always been a classic night owl. I love to stay up into the late hours and thrived when the sun went down. The majority of my creative time is spent at night. I love painting, reading, writing, cooking, and planning all in the p.m. The time will quickly slip away from me and a plan to read for only an hour will turn into four and I won't stop until I've finished the book and it's 3 a.m. All my best ideas (and worst) have occurred as the creative gears turned in my mind at midnight.

However, last year I started doing personal training, which meant that I had to get up early in the morning to go work out. This also meant going to bed earlier. So for the entirety of the end of 2017 and the beginning of 2018, I loathed going to bed and waking up early.

Then, I entered my junior year and something in me switched. I was annoyed that I always felt tired and dragged myself through the day. I hated how I didn't have much time in the morning to do what I needed to do and would rush out the door half-asleep. So I decided something had to change.

My doctor told me it was best to fall asleep at least before midnight because when you fall asleep after midnight, your brain doesn't fully have time to go into a deep sleep. So I started there. Each night, I went to bed and fell asleep around eleven and woke up at seven in the morning.

As much as I hated to admit it, falling asleep early helped. Like, a lot. I planned my nights so I had time to read, but just not as long. I scheduled my events around my new bedtime and made sure I gave myself enough time to shower and get ready for bed. As time went on, I found myself actually looking forward to the mornings and waking up earlier.

I now wake up around 6:45 a.m. and grab my favorite pink fuzzy blanket. I throw on an oversized sweatshirt, grab my water bottle, phone, Bible, journal, and pen, and go out into the living room. There, I choose my favorite Trader Joe's Christmas coffee blend and start the coffee pot up. While the delicate smell of coffee overwhelms the room, I start to make breakfast. My morning meal varies by my mood— it may be scrambled eggs with bacon and spices in-between, or it may just be cereal.

After eating, I usually read a chapter from the Bible and journal for a bit. Then with a cup of coffee in my hand, I read whatever book I have on my phone. It's a great way to start the morning and it allows me to slowly wake up as I go about my morning routine. I don't have to rush to get ready nor feel groggy throughout the day. It also helps improve myself mentally. I find when I get a good amount of sleep, my mental health is much more stable and better than ever.

I never thought I'd be a morning person. I used to think people who woke up before the sun were crazy. However, there is something peaceful in waking up early. The world is quiet and still, with the haze of sleep still covering the world. It's my time to spend with God, to read, to drink coffee, and to wake up. It makes the Mondays more bearable, and the start of my day enjoyable and something to look forward to.

Don't knock waking up early before you try it for a while. Find a routine that works for you and do what makes you happy. I promise you, that you'll find it's not as bad as you think.