Night Classes: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

There's always going to be that one class that is only ever offered at night, here's some tips!

At some point, we all will most likely end up taking a night class or two. I was unlucky enough to have to take one during my first semester (though Dr. Beck is a pretty cool professor). Would I willingly take one again if I had the choice between that and the same class during the day? Eh, maybe. Everyone has their own preferences, so let's tackle the pros and cons of night classes!

The Good:

1. If that's your only class that day, you can sleep in as late as you want!

If your class is at 6, and it's your only one that day, it's perfectly acceptable to sleep until 3 PM! (Though, you probably shouldn't.)

2. Typically, there are no assigned seats!

If you're in a mass lecture at night, your professor will tend to not bother with assigned seats. You can sit wherever you want, like a nice area hiding from your professor so that you can take a nap. (I really suggest not napping in class though.)

3. You're guaranteed breaks during class!

Most night classes are only once a week so, in that case, you're guaranteed breaks instead of a three-hour long lecture. Perfect time for Starbucks runs!

4. Depending on the class, the professor may let you out early!

From personal experience, I can say this is true (you go, Dr. Beck!). In a three-hour lecture, you have plenty of time to get everything done. In most situations you'll get everything done about 20-30 minutes early.

5. The class is most likely only once a week!

Night classes tend to be once a week deals, which means that only one night a week do you need to dread listening to your professor drone on and on and on...you get what I'm saying. Even with breaks, the lectures can see to go on forever.

6. If you're a vampire, these are the best classes for you to take!

Ok, this one may be a joke, but come on! If you were a vampire would you want to go to class in the morning and risk turning to dust (or sparkle...)? Granted with how cloudy Bloomsburg can be, it might as well always be nighttime for the vampires...

The Bad & The Ugly:

1. They can make your day feel like it's dragging on forever.

This one is from personal experience. If you've got classes during the day before it you can finish them and think "Hey, I'm done for the day!" That is, until you remember that you have a three-hour long class that night and that you're not done yet.

2. They're at night..

Well, this is pretty obvious, but the fact that they're at night is pretty annoying. All your other friends are going to hand out and have fun...and you're stuck listening to your professor lecture to you about the parts of the brain. You can love the class, but in the end, being stuck in class while your friends are having fun is a drag.

3. Dinnertime can be really awful.

Depending on when you class starts will determine how suck-ish (that's a word!) your dinner plans are. You can either a) skip dinner, b) eat dinner alone or c) eat dinner really quickly. Let's be honest, those are all pretty terrible options. I can vouch too, that trying to get Subway at 5:30 means that you won't get your food until your class actually starts basically.

4. Getting a job during the semester? Can't work that night, sorry.

Nighttime is the primetime for college students to find working hours. Classes are normally in the morning and you can work at night. However, if you've got a class, you can't work. It doesn't seem like much, but losing working hours when you're a poor, starving college student can add up.

5. You have a greater chance of falling asleep during class.

Combining a three-hour long mass lecture with the fact that it's at night--it's unavoidable to get tired. I was tired every class pretty much. If you're in a comfy chair in a lecture hall, the professor's monotonous talking can sound like a sweet lullaby.

6. The inevitable chance of having class with a vampire...

I couldn't help myself, sorry guys! Really though, if you have a night class, your chances of having a class with a vampire increases tenfold! If you notice any obscenely pale people with fangs and blood dripping from their mouth in your class...I highly suggest not sitting next to them.