Potential MVP candidates for the 2019 NFL season

10 Standout NFL MVP Candidates, Heading Into The 2019 Season

These MVP candidates stand out from the rest of the pack.

245

It is never too early to consider who will be in the NFL's Most Valuable Player race. The most consistent, dominant, and fundamental players rise to the occasion. They make plays, win games, and inspire the fans. Heading into the 2019 season, these players have the best chance of winning the league's MV title.

1. Patrick Mahomes

Patrick Mahomes had one of the most prolific seasons for a quarterback in recent NFL history. He became the third quarterback in history to throw at least 50 touchdowns in a single season. The Chiefs were an overtime away from the Super Bowl in 2018. Mahomes won the league's MVP award last season, and he is the most obvious choice to take the award again in 2019.

2. Andrew Luck

Andrew Luck found his stride again in 2018. He led the Colts back to the post-season and a playoff win against division rival Houston. Not many were sure if Luck would play football again after his shoulder surgery. But his 2018 season has the Colts back into playoff contention and Luck in the MVP race.

3. Aaron Rodgers

The Packers have a new head coach and a new defense. With improvements all over the Packers roster, Aaron Rodgers can deliver on another MVP run. When number 12 is at his best, the Packers are playoff contenders. Should Rodgers remain healthy throughout the season, there is little reason to count him out of the MVP discussion.

4. Drew Brees

Drew Brees has had a remarkable NFL career. The one thing missing from his resume is an MVP award. Throughout his tenure with the Saints, Brees has managed to win big games and break records. The Saints are also always in contention to win the division. If Drew Brees plays the way he has the past two seasons, he should be in the running for league MVP.

5. Carson Wentz

Carson Wentz recently agreed to a four-year contract extension with the Philadelphia Eagles. The Eagles are confident in their quarterback of the future. Wentz had an MVP type season in 2017 before he was injured. The Eagles would win the Super Bowl with another quarterback. But now, it is time for Wentz to take command of his team.

6. Aaron Donald

A defensive player has not won the league's MVP since 1986. Aaron Donald is the most likely defensive player to compete for the award. Donald has established himself as one of the best pass rushers of his generation. He is coming off two straight Defensive Player of the Year awards. If anyone can lead the Rams after a Super Bowl loss, it's Aaron Donald.

7. Khalil Mack

Khalil Mack is another dominant defender who has won the Defensive Player of the Year award. He transformed the Chicago Bears into division champions and Super Bowl contenders. The Bears have always been a defensive team, and Mack is the face of the Bears defense. If he has a season such as 2018, Mack should be considered for MVP.

8. Philip Rivers

Philip Rivers is another veteran quarterback who does not have an MVP award. In 2018, Rivers led the Chargers to the playoffs. Charger fans have a lot to look forward to from the 37-year-old. A playoff run should be in the cards for the Chargers if Rivers performs at an MVP level.

9. Baker Mayfield

Baker Mayfield has things looking bright in Cleveland, OH. The Browns have plenty of talent on their roster, and Mayfield may be in for a breakout season. His new teammate Odell Beckham Jr. gives Mayfield and the offense a new weapon. An elite receiving corps can help Mayfield compete in the division and MVP race.

10. Alvin Kamara

Alvin Kamara has had two elite years his first two seasons in the NFL. Kamara has helped the Saints to two straight playoff appearances. He has emerged as one of the most elite and versatile running backs in the NFL. Should he have another outstanding season, Kamara will be in the race for MVP.

The 2019 NFL season will feature a competitive MVP race. The top candidates will compete for their teams and. hopefully, have superlative seasons. Each of these players listed is the premier candidates for 2019. The season is a couple of months away, but it's exciting to speculate the next MVP.