10 NFL Free Agent Signings That Will Be Game-Changers Next Season

10 NFL Free Agent Signings, From The Ones I Love To The Ones I Loathe

Some teams made strides, others stumbled and face-planted.

84

NFL Free Agency is always a crazy time. The existing power structure of the league shifts considerably based on the moves that are made with some teams pushing for the top, and others careening towards that bottom. Just because you make a move, however, doesn't mean that it will pay off. Some signings will completely sink a team, while others help them take flight. In this list, I examine five NFL free agent signings that I think will help teams soar, and another five that I think will destroy hope in their respective fanbases.

1. Love: Nick Foles to the Jaguars

The Jaguars have found their guy to replace Blake Bortles. A good quarterback with a great record of previous success, Foles will have pressure to succeed in Jacksonville right away.

2. Loathe: Landon Collins to the Redskins

Dan Snyder did what he always does: overpay. Collins is one of the best safeties in the league, but $84 million? That's a ridiculous amount of money for a safety. Needless to say, the Skins expect big things from Collins.

3. Love: C.J. Mosley to the Jets

The Jets continue to rebuild their defense. In doing so, they signed a player who can lead their defense on and off the field. Mosley will make an immediate impact fro Gang Green, and could turn this defense into a great unit.

4. Loathe: Earl Thomas to the Ravens

Another safety who was overpaid, Thomas is 30 years old and coming off of a broken leg. Despite this, they gave him $55 million anyway with $30 million guaranteed. This is a boom or bust signing; if Thomas plays well he can earn every penny, but if not there will be pain.

5. Love: Preston Smith to the Packers

The Packers are actually investing in free agency. Adding Smith along with Adrian Amos and Zhadarius Smith will really improve this atrocious defense, and with Aaron Rodgers on the other side of the ball, the Packers have a chance to reclaim the division and then some.

6. Loathe: Golden Tate to the Giants

The Giants signed Tate to replace Odell Beckham. Tate is not nearly as good as Beckham. Tate said he only wanted to sign for a winning team. The Giants are not that. This signing makes no sense for either team.

7. Love: Randall Cobb to the Cowboys

Dak Prescott has a new safety valve to throw to. When Cobb is healthy, he can be a very good receiver, and they got him at a bargain price of $5 million. This move could pay huge dividends for the Cowboys next year.

8. Loathe: Cole Beasley to the Bills

Josh Allen also got a good option in the slot, the receiver that Cobb is replacing in Dallas. However, Beasley is being paid much more money than he's worth, especially on a team that is still rebuilding and isn't ready for playoff football. There were cheaper options on the table.

9. Love: Trent Brown to the Raiders

Spider 2 Y Banana enthusiast and Raiders coach Jon Gruden is engaging in a full on reload in Oakland. Part of this was going out and signing the best offensive lineman on the market to protect their golden goose Derek Carr. Sure it was a lot of money, but this is a guy who can be a staple on that O-line for years to come. Another boom or bust signing, the risk and reward are huge.

10. Super Mega Loathe: Kareem Hunt to the Browns

The only position I'd sign this guy as is a kicker.

Fuck this guy.

With the season so far away and the draft still on the horizon, a lot can still change. However, whether I'm right or wrong about specific guys, some will inevitably fail in their new homes, and I can't wait to laugh at the ones that do.