29th Times A Charm

29th Times A Charm

Will Baker Mayfield end the Cleveland Browns quarterback curse?
271

We all witnessed a historic decision take place on April 26th; the Cleveland Browns selected a quarterback as the number one overall pick, but not necessarily the one many people thought. Why is this so important? Well for the Cleveland Browns it is this is their 29th quarterback since 1999. Crazy right...How could you make the same mistake over and over again?

The Cleveland Browns selected Baker Mayfield as the number one overall pick in the 2018 Draft. Mayfield definitely has talent; he was the winner of the 2017 Heisman Trophy, the most sought after award in college football history. However, there were some questions regarding Baker Mayfield's height. He is only 6 feet 5/8 inches, which in professional football is quite short. However, Drew Brees and Russell Wilson have shown height is not the be all end all. Also, the Cleveland Browns analyzed this flaw, and they think Mayfield can handle the position. Compared to the other talented quarterbacks in this years class, Baker Mayfield actually had the least amount of batted balls in 2017. He only had 2 whereas Sam Darnold, Llamar Jackson, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen averaged 6.8.

The Browns, just like every other team in the NFL, questioned Baker Mayfield's on and off the field antics. However, they looked past this flaw when they started to see how committed he was to his team. Usually, selfishness is the reason for bad behavior, but Baker Mayfield just needs time to mature. Former Oklahoma University football coach Bob Stoops said of Mayfield "One of the best leaders I've ever had on my team."

Of course there are many things Baker Mayfield is going to have to learn if he wants to be a successful quarterback in the NFL. If he stops some of his immature behaviors than I believe he will be successful. Do I think that there were maybe some better quarterbacks in this years draft? Perhaps. However, Baker Mayfield is in control of his own destiny.