NFL 2018 Mock Draft: The First 11 Picks

NFL 2018 Mock Draft: The First 11 Picks

Browns get their QB of the future, and trades liven up the draft early.

66
NFL 2018 Mock Draft: The First 11 Picks
@nfldraft

This is my prediction for how the first eleven picks of the 2018 NFL Draft will play out.

1. Cleveland Browns select Sam Darnold, QB USC

This one is a no-brainer; the Browns need a quarterback, and Darnold is the best one in this draft. He'll probably end up sitting on the bench for a year to develop, but it will give all the time he needs to adjust to the NFL game. As the most athletic, most talented quarterback in this draft, the Browns will have their quarterback of the future.

2. New York Giants trade pick to Buffalo Bills, Bills select Josh Allen, QB Wyoming

The Bills are desperate for a quarterback, and the Giants have let it be known that this pick is on the market, so this scenario seems very likely to me. Allen, being the biggest quarterback in this draft, is the perfect height and weight to play in the cold, winter hellhole that is Buffalo. While not a very polished thrower, Allen has the potential to be a very good starter in the NFL for the next ten years.

3. New York Jets pick Baker Mayfield, QB Oklahoma

Mayfield has a lot of questions surrounding him, from his height to his off the field antics, but he can throw the ball with accuracy and has the mobility to improvise and make something out of nothing. While not ready to start right away, he is a great leader with all the intangibles NFL teams look for in a quarterback. He has the upside to potentially be a good quarterback at the next level.

4. Cleveland Browns pick Denzel Ward, CB Ohio State

Yes, Cleveland has the second pick in this draft. Since they already have their quarterback of the future in Darnold, Ward gives the Browns a shutdown corner that can be a staple of that defense for the next several years. He may be a bit short, but he has a lot of upsides and comes from a program that has produced a lot of successful defensive players over the years.

5. Denver Broncos pick Bradley Chubb, DE NC State

Chubb is the best pass rusher in this draft, and might even be the best non-quarterback in this draft, so pairing him with Von Miller, a premier pass rusher in the league, could create a deadly duo on defense for the next several years.

6. Indianapolis Colts trade pick to Arizona Cardinals, Cardinals pick Josh Rosen, QB UCLA

The Colts are in full rebuild and are very willing to move down in exchange for more picks. The Cardinals need a long-term solution at quarterback. This is a trade that seems possible and reasonable for both sides. While Rosen is somewhat slow and has durability concerns, he is the purest thrower in this draft and is the most available quarterback to play now.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers pick Minkah Fitzpatrick, DB Alabama

Tampa Bay needs help on defense, and Fitzpatrick is the best player available at this point in the draft on defense. He is also one of, if not the safest pick in the draft.

8. Chicago Bears pick Quentin Nelson, OL Notre Dame

Nelson is the best offensive lineman to come out of college in years, and the Bears could use him to shore up a weakness and provide Mitch Trubisky with some protection. Nelson also has the added benefit of familiarity with the Bears new offensive line coach, who used to work at Notre Dame.

9. San Fransisco 49ers pick Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State

Barkley is probably the best player in this draft and is a consensus home run hitter among scouts. Although I don't agree with him falling this far, team needs and the depth at running back in the draft leads him to dropping, and the 49ers are more than willing to add another weapon to their revamped offense.

10. Oakland Raiders pick Derwin James, S Florida State

The Raiders have to do something about their secondary. The defense last year lacked playmaking ability, and the secondary especially was slow and old. Drafting James would immediately improve a position that has been one of the worst for the Raiders over the last several years.

11. Miami Dolphins pick Roquan Smith, LB Georgia

With the departure of their main pass rusher in the offseason, the Dolphins will be looking for a player that can get to the quarterback. Smith is a versatile player who can not only rush the passer, but can tackle in the open field and stop the run as well.