The Reason Why The New York Giants Need A Miracle

The Giants lost to the only other 0-4 team during Week 5, the Los Angeles Chargers. After Odell Beckham Jr. and Brandon Marshall's injury, New York has been put into a corner.

21
nygiants // Instagram

When the New York Giants lost during Week 1 against the Dallas Cowboys, starting 0-1, it was fine, it was okay.

Sure, quarterback Eli Manning could've tried to do some more with the ball and give more targets to wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. or recent acquisition Brandon Marshall, or even second-year play Sterling Shepherd for more plays. Sure, the offensive line should have protected Manning in the pocket more. Sure, they could have done all of these things, but in the end Dallas just played better football.

When the Giants lost during Week 2 against the Detroit Lions, going to 0-2, it was kind of okay.

Sure, Manning could have done a better job of getting the ball out of the pocket. Sure, the defense could have worked harder for better coverage. Sure, they could have done all these things, but Detroit just played better football.

These were all the cases for Week 3 (@ Philadelphia Eagles), Week 4 (@ Tampa Bay Buccaneers) and Week 5 (vs Los Angeles Chargers), but they ended up losing these three games due to a field goal.

First of all, Manning needs to have better vision of the field because he hasn't been giving his receivers as many targets as he should've been. Of course, Odell was getting some touches here and there, but it wasn't nearly as much as he should've been. Manning has also been struggling with figuring out how to use Marshall and has to learn how to trust Shepherd more.

Now, unfortunately, all three receivers that were just mentioned are currently on injured reserve. Dwyane Harris, another wide receiver, was also placed on the reserve as well. These four receivers have a combined 1,429 receptions, just imagine how much the Giants need that right now.

With the core receivers out, the running backs are going to have to step up their game. With Paul Perkins out, Wayne Gallman is one of their better options if they want to keep trying with this running game. Gallman brought some relief to the team by getting further in rushes, but it still wasn't enough to put New York in a position to win the game.

To make the Giants even more stressful, defensive tanks Landon Collins and Olivier Vernon are both out with ankle injuries, softening up New York's defense and making it even easier for the opposing team to score.

It was reported Wednesday afternoon that both Collins and Shepherd weren't seen at practice and neither are sure when they're going to be able to return.

With all these injuries plaguing the once-11-5 team, it's basically almost impossible for them to have even a decent rest of the season. Their star receiver, Beckham Jr., is out for the rest of it, therefore, Manning is going to have to put much much more faith in his receivers and even more in his running backs, though neither have been doing too great.

Unless one of the rookies, or someone, has a breakout remainder of the season, it's difficult to see the Giants winning even just one game. Even though the Chargers were the best bet at winning, the Chicago Bears and Cleveland Browns seem like an easy game, but with the Giants you just never really know.