New Year, Better You

New Year, Better You

10

So here we are; the beginning of 2017. A brand spankn new year!

Another year to rediscover ourselves. To form new relationships, achieve previously set goals, and make new mistakes.

As I sit here and reflect on 2016, I can't help but be thankful for the opportunities and experiences that I encountered throughout the year.

Lots of heart break, lots of tears, but lots of cool places and people in between. Through these times I have learned many lessons. I've begun to realize the impact others had on me, as I had on them.

I've realized where I want to be, and who I want to be by the end of 2017.

But you know what I've always wondered? Why do we have to use the new year as an excuse to reinvent ourselves? To better ourselves. To seek new opportunities.

Answer- WE DON'T! And that's the glory of life. Every day is a new day to become better. It's a clean slate. So why not try to better ourselves DAILY?? And not only better ourselves, but those around us as well.

Many of you may find yourselves contemplating the past year and everything it brought, good and bad. You may feel inspired to make some changes. And I think that is great. Change is a wonderful thing!

Below are the top things I would like achieve not only this year, but daily. We should take full advantage of every day God gives us! I hope that you may find yourself brainstorming of ways to create a better you.

Remember, you're not in this alone. Bettering yourself will lead to bettering your community, which leads to bettering the world! It's crazy to picture, but you know I'm right.

Positivity > Negativity

First, you must rid yourself of negativity. In my opinion, this will be the hardest but most important attribute. It's so ridiculously easy to be negative, but seeing the positive in every situation will lead to a more stable and happy mental health.

So I challenge you to contradict every negative comment with a positive. An added bonus- spreading positivity will increase the morale of others around you.

Speaking of others around you, it may be time to revaluate who you surround yourself with. Making the right decisions are not always going to be easy. You may find yourself surrounded with those who cause you to think negatively, and that has to change! You begin to act as those around you do.

To be honest, you need to do what's best for you. So if that means distancing yourself from certain people, then do so. And I'm not going to lie, it's going to be hard. But I can assure you, you will see the difference it makes!

Be Kinder

If I've learned anything from working in retail, it's to do your best to be kind FIRST. You NEVER know what someone else is going through, how their day has been, their current situation. And honestly, being kind isn't all that hard!

So why do we make it seem impossible? Not only being kind in general, but being kind first!

Over the past year, I have been around others who go out of their way to speak to others and show kindness. So-lets be more kind people!! You never know where it will lead.

Me Time

Alone time is a must. I value my alone time, because it gives me time to contemplate life, my dreams, and make my to-do list.

Whether its baking, journaling, reading, even binging on Netflix, having time to yourself is a great asset towards your happiness. I cannot stress enough how important time to yourself is!!

Everyone needs a break from everything, as well as everyone. Trust me- taking 30 minutes-1 hour a day will help your head feel less cluttered and refreshed.

Be Present

Throughout our lifetime, there are many incredible experiences we will have, influential people we will meet and encounter, heart breaks we will survive, difficult lessons to learn, etc. One must live in the moments, because we won't get these moments back!

Regardless if they're good or bad, they are memories. These moments make up our life. So soak it all in friends, and never take a day for granted.

If you've taken anything from my words, I hope you realize that NO ONE is perfect. Everyone is looking for change in some way.

And it's okay to want more for yourself.

You deserve more; your life was meant for more.

I challenge you to format some goals for yourself, and fulfill them daily. Push yourself to be better, to make the world better.

You can do amazing things, now go show them.