New Year, Same Me

New Year, Same Me

A new year and another chance to get it right.

28
Teresa Spealman

"New year, new me." It's the universal saying that is all over social media, and it's the saying that everyone convinces themselves that they're going to live by for a whole entire year. But most of the time, two weeks later people forget their resolutions, and they end up being the same person they always have.

2016 was a year of many things for me. Many ups, many downs, many trials, many triumphs, many moments of happiness, and many moments of sadness. But this year, I want to become a better me. I don't understand why people want to change something handcrafted by God into something that society claims is better. So that being said, I don't want to become a new me, just an improved me.

Have Your Voice Heard: Become an Odyssey Creator

I want to become a healthier me.

People who have the classic New Years Resolution to lose weight have good intentions I'm sure, but if you're looking to become a "New you," then your concerns should be somewhere far beyond weight loss. I already know that saying I'm going to go to the gym every day isn't going to happen, so I want to change smaller and more feasible aspects of my life (like walking more and eating less) so that I can feel better about being me.

I want to pray more and worry less.

We all worry. We can't stop ourselves from worrying, and I am constantly worried about the little things in my life. But every time I worry, I need to pray. This one is going to take some practice, but praying for peace in a time of worry can never be bad.

I want to be a better friend.

I can't speak for everyone, but my friends are my rocks. They are who I call when I don't know what to do in a situation, need someone to go to Walmart with me, or just want to hang out and watch Netflix all day. This year, I want to make sure my friends know that they are loved, they are kind, and they are awesome. I can't wait to make sweet memories with my best friends in 2017 that I will remember forever.

I want to make a difference.

If everyone strived to make a small difference in someone's life, the world would be a better place. A simple text to someone you haven't talked to in a while can no doubt make somebody's day. Even something as simple as a smile to a person walking by could make someone's day better. You never know what is going on in those face's lives. If I could make a difference in even one person's life in 2017, I will consider it a successful year.

I want to be more spontaneous.

The best trips are the ones that are unplanned and with your favorite people. Whether it be to the nearest big town to shop a little or a weekend trip to the beach, I want to have times I will remember forever with the people I will never forget.

I want to let go and let God.

My biggest goal for this year is to let go of things. Let go negative people, negative situations, anger, anxiety, and negative thoughts. There are so many things that I think I can fix on my own, but at the end of the day God's plan is the plan that plays out- not mine. I let so many negative things get to me, and this year I just don't have time for that. I know that letting go of things isn't easy, but that is the first step to change.

I want to do a lot of things this year. I am not going to be a saint by the end of the year, but I am praying that I am going to be a better me.

Here's to 2017!