New Year, BETTER You

New Year, BETTER You

All this talk about becoming a completely new person is nauseating.

11
Megan Gustoff

In this short video, it was so nice outside that I was able to stop at my old high school over the holiday's while I was home and do a short workout! Before I get into the workout, let's talk about 2016 and 2017. My social media timelines have literally exploded with all the negative redundancy of 2016. "New Year, New Me" has been the phrase that I've seen the most and I have so many mixed feelings about it! I challenge you to think about what 2017 means to you.

1.) Understand that change takes time.

No matter the goals or representation you plan to make, take note that change takes time. If you have a New Year's resolution to follow, don't stop. The biggest regret I have in my past is not putting more effort on my dreams and goals because of how much time it takes. Notice that in the next three weeks, many people WILL give up on their resolution because of the amount of time it takes to get there or how hard it might seem. DON'T BE ONE OF THESE PEOPLE. Make every single day count. If I could go back and tell my high-school-self one thing, it would be that great things take time and nothing worth having happens over night. Remind yourself every day that you are a work in progress and whatever you're not able to attain right now, just isn't ready for you yet. Don't give up. Instead, get up, and try again.

2.) Don't think you need special approval to change yourself.

If you want to change something, JUST DO IT. Stop making excuses because New Year's resolutions are the epidemy of every American's reason to be a better person. Don't wait. Understand that you are in control of so much more than you think. Know your worth and surround yourself with the people who motivate you to help you reach your full potential. It's okay to let toxic people go, even if that means being alone for awhile. It's crazy the influence that other individuals have in our life sometimes. A lot of the time it's those that we come in contact with on a daily basis that drives us further or away from where we need to be, but there are those who come into our lives to "test" us (as I like to call it). Know the difference.

3.) You don't have to completely transform into a brand new human being.

You are you for a reason! There is an entire reason your personality, your beauty and your involvement on this earth has been created. Sure, there may be a few things you might want to tweak here and there, but don't think you have to change your entire life because it's 2017. Keep being you and OWN it.

*Food for thought

Exercises:

My phone (iPhone 6) turns off whenever it gets cold which is why there are only three listed. BUT, go get some fresh air and try some of these short workouts!

Bleachers - (UGH), I know right. This was a lot more difficult for me than it used to be in high school. I stopped twice to catch my breath for 15 seconds, but we'll get back to that endurance someday (see #1 above)! Try to do the entire home side. Stop and take breaks when you need to, but try not to give up, even if you have to walk them!

Inclined Clap Push Ups - (3 sets of 10)

Tricep Dips - (3 sets of 15)

*Reliving glory days with some good old fashioned tumbling. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME OR ON YOUR OWN.

It was so discouraging with my body not being able to do what it used to be able to do, but I can't wait to see what this year brings for more progress and a better understanding of what my body can do when I set other things aside and focus on what my goals and dreams are! Stay tuned and be sure to share/tag someone who needs a little 2017 motivation!

Follow me!

Instagram: @megangustoff_fitness

Twitter: @megangustoff1

Snapchat: megangustoff