A 3-Step Guide To Creating A Whole New Wardrobe, While Still On A Budget

If you've been looking to re-vamp your closet on a budget, you've come to the right place.

29

Many people saw quarantine as an opportunity to become a "new and improved" version of themselves. Some people dyed their hair, some people cut their hair, and others, like myself, spent lots of time online shopping. Personally, I wanted to use quarantine as a time to "re-invent" my fashion. The main problem was, I didn't have the money nor the slightest idea of how to do that. Now that it's a couple months later and I've started to accumulate pieces to my dream wardrobe, I thought I would share some tips and tricks that really helped me along the way.

Step 1: Download Pinterest and find your style!

Pinterest has become my new obsession. I could spend hours scrolling through Pinterest and I have a board for almost anything. It's an extremely easy way to find your style and kind of pieces you need to bring that style to life. You simply search your desired aesthetic, find the outfits that resonate with you the most, and save it to a board you create! Even if you don't have a set "desired" aesthetic, Pinterest is a great way to help you find one. Pin whatever style you like to a board and whatever the common theme amongst your photos is, is your style. Personally, my Pinterest boards are filled with "model off-duty" outfits with a mix of cottage-core.

Step 2: Sell/donate/toss any clothes you don't use!

I used to hoard clothes like no other. Even if I wouldn't wear it, I would still keep it because, "I might wear it someday." I finally decided to go through my closet and get rid of things that I didn't wear and, not surprisingly, I had a lot. That was when my friend, Kayla, asked me if I wanted to start an account on Instagram where we could sell our clothes. That was probably one of the smartest moves I could've made. Within the first month, we made over $200 selling our clothes. While that was all well and good, Instagram isn't necessarily the easiest place to sell clothing, because everyone is obsessed with name-brand things. Other apps I use include Depop and Mercari. Both are places where you can buy AND sell clothing, for reasonable prices. And if you don't think anyone would want to buy your clothes, donating them to Salvation Army, Goodwill, or any other thrift store is a great ethical way to get rid of your old clothes.

Step 3: Shop, shop, shop!

With almost every dollar I made from selling my clothes, I would buy more. Not exactly the smartest idea, but that was the entire reason I was selling my clothes in the first place. I've started to buy clothes that match the style I like and that I knew I would use more than the items I sold. Ever since quarantine, I've bought most of my clothing secondhand off Mercari, Depop, and various Instagram boutiques (which I mentioned before, is also a good way to SELL your clothes as well). Thrifting is also a great way to grow your wardrobe, because you can get unique pieces that no one else may have in their closet for a fraction of the retail price.

Fashion is a form of self-expression that a lot of people take pride in, but it doesn't have to break your bank account. So have fun shopping!