If You're Looking For A​ New Year's Resolution, Here Are 10 Ideas

It's the time of year when everyone will be saying "New year, new me!"

891

It's been a pretty rough year for everyone, that's for sure. The global pandemic made it easy to feel down in the dumps and to fall off track from normal healthy habits. However, there are high hopes for 2021 with a new vaccine having been released and the possibility of a normal upcoming year. That makes it the perfect time for all of us to try some self-improvement, too!

1. Take better care of your mental health.

Unsplash

Like I said earlier, the pandemic has been a real downer for just about everyone on the planet. Now more than ever it is extremely important to pay extra attention to our mental health. With constant depressing images and news appearing on our TVs and phones, we all need to try and take a break from it once in a while. Meditation, eating healthy, getting enough sleep, listening to music, and going for walks outside are all ways to improve mental health. Although it's difficult to meet with people in person, also try talking to someone close to you about how you're feeling.

2. Exercise more often.

Unsplash

This resolution sort of ties together with the first one I have listed. When I say "exercise more often," I don't necessarily mean with the intention of losing a lot of weight. Exercising in general helps improve your mental health and obviously your physical health. It's important to feel healthy and strong in your own body, and this feeling also helps with confidence. You don't have to go super hard when you work out, but if you find yourself feeling bored and sitting around, why not take the time to go for a long walk or jog?

3. Volunteer more.

Unsplash

Nothing feels better than giving back to those who need some help. Once again, with the pandemic, it can be a little more difficult to find places to volunteer in person, but there are definitely still organizations out there that could use assistance. If you feel that it's safe and possible, look for an organization or business that you are passionate about to volunteer at!

4. Keep in better touch with loved ones.

Usually, I would have put "spend more time with loved ones," but things are a little different at the moment, so keeping in touch with them will have to do for now. Calling or video calling the people that you care about is a nice way to keep in touch with them and to show them that you care about them. Who knows, a phone call from you might make their day!

5. Use social media less often.

Social Media has become an integral part of our everyday lives, but sometimes it can be draining and harmful to mental health. Personally, I find myself on social media way too often because it can become addicting trying to keep up with everyone's lives or the latest trends. This new year, try to spend less time on it and spend more time doing other things that you love or make you feel good.

6. Dive into something you're passionate about. 

Have you been dying to dive back into a hobby like playing the piano or painting again? Well, maybe 2021 is the time for you to go back to your old passions that you haven't always had time for! Write that book you've been itching to start or remodel your room if that's something you enjoy doing!

7. Try something new.

If you feel like you need to make some new discoveries, start the new year off by trying out some new things. Whether it's traveling, trying new food, learning how to play an instrument, or picking up a new hobby, take this year to try it out! Take this time to explore new possibilities.

8. Quit a bad habit.

Unsplash

Although you can decide to quit a bad habit any time, sometimes the new year is the perfect time to try and end it. It's a fresh start and the beginning of a brand new year, so take the time to make pave a new path for yourself as well by quitting that bad habit that you would like to get rid of. Maybe even replace the bad habit with something healthier.

9. Spread more kindness.

Unsplash

If you find that you tend to be a little on the negative or grumpy side, try to spread a little more positivity and kindness this new year. Everyone needs a little more love and kindness in their lives right now, so why not be the reason for someones' smile?

10. Educate yourself.

Unsplash

There has been a load of political and social issues during 2020, and if you feel like you were having trouble keeping up with it all, 2021 could be the year for you to educate yourself. Read up on whatever issues you feel are important in the world today, or you could also take the time to educate yourself on any topic you find interesting and would like to know more about.

Whatever resolution you decide to stick to, you're bound to experience some personal growth along the way. Let's get ready to say good riddance to 2020, and hope for new beginnings in 2021.