Never Will There Be Peace Without Justice

Stand up against ignorance, hostility, discrimination and racism

20

I am tired of the repetition. The storyline has gotten old.

The pattern is the same:

1. Minor offense

2. Innocuous behavior

3. Unnecessary detention

4. Lack of respect for human dignity

5. The lonely death.

6. Family loses a loved one

7. Grief

8. The report where no one is held responsible.

I am tired. Tired of having the same conversation. It is clearly it's a topic that needs to be discussed. Until we're blue in the face and have cotton mouth, I am going to continue to keep the conversation going. I am tired of seeing the videos. I'm tired of reading the news articles with the same story line: "A young black male "commits" a minor offense, an officer goes into a rage uses excessive force." Sound familiar?

The Balch Springs Police Department of Texas shot and killed a 15-year-old black boy. Jordan Edwards was leaving a party with friends when the police arrived. Jordan Edwards was shot in the head with a police rifle. He was in the vehicle with other teens. Take a moment to think about that. An officer shot into a moving vehicle that was filled with TEENAGERS.

"Another family ripped apart by police brutality."

Marco Stephenson can be seen in handcuffs, WHILE another officer sticks a Taser in his side. I'm not sure if I missed it... was he resisting? No. Was he endangering himself or the officers? No. The officers can be heard saying, "Don't pull away. Don't pull away. Do you get it? Do you get it? The police are said to have a history with Stephenson, so they felt the need to show him what they are capable of. Apparently, Stephenson was in possession of a BB gun, which is why the police were called on him.

Nothing was done.

The image of an unarmed person of color has become inescapable. Too often a link pops up that shows a person of color being harassed, violently detained and sometimes fatally shot. Just because you don't see it, doesn't mean it's not happening. Police brutality happens even when it's not shown in the media. The Washington Post stated that over 300 people have been murdered by the hands of police officers in the year of 2017. Of the 300, 95 of them were black. Many of them were unarmed.

Demarco Anderson was on the ground, handcuffed when he was curb-stomped by another police officer. Zachary Rosen, the police officer, was placed on non-patrol duty for his actions. This is the same officer who just went before a grand jury for the shooting and killing of another black man; Henry Green in 2016. The grand jury decided not to indict Zachary Rosen for the murder of Henry Green.

In April 2017, Demetrius Bryan Hollins was pulled over for a "routine traffic" stop. Instead, he was harassed and punched by Michael Bongiovanni. Hollins attempted to record him but Bongiovanni shoved him and said, "You're never going to have a video. You're never going to make the phone call to your mom." A day later, Hollins is pulled over again by Bongiovanni and his partner, Robert Mcdonald. Once again he's harassed, but instead of being punched. He's cuffed in the middle of the road and Mcdonald KICKS him in the face.

This is the rare case where the officers are fired but still walking the streets free.

While walking home, Nandi Cain was stopped for jaywalking. JAYWALKING. The officers threw him to the ground and proceeded to punch him multiple times in the face and head.

It's no secret there is a stereotype of African-American males. They're guilty on sight. No matter the age or situation, guilty until proven innocent. I did my research and this is what I learned. The Police Academy is 6 months long. During that 6 months, the trainees go through hours of training in a variety of areas.

60 hours in defensive training. 21 hours in use of force. 15 hours in communication and self-improvement. 8 hours. Only 8 hours in ethics and integrity. 10 hours in learning about juvenile and justice laws and procedures.

Now, I'm not a lawyer or police officer, but I am pretty sure if more time was spent going over ethics and communication and juvenile procedures... we would see fewer officers beating on 14-year-olds and shooting 12-year-olds. Maybe more time should be spent on training officers how to approach people who are unarmed in a more civil manner. The relationship between Blacks and law enforcement are not on the best of terms. Trust isn't there and well, it's not hard to see why. If there needs to be a training how to approach people of color then we need to get one in place!

Folks are tired. They march, they protest, but where is the justice? Officers commit these acts of violence and what's their punishment? Paid Leave. I'm sure that's a vacation. Get the officers involved with the community, get to know the people you're supposed to be protecting. Stop using your badge as an excuse to treat people ay ol' kind of way.

The pattern is the same.It's time for a change. The conversation is getting tiring.