I Don't Care How Popular Spin Classes Are, I'm Never Taking One

I would rather get on a physical bike than compete against others on a stationary one.

263

One of the funniest scenes in Amy Schumer's "I Feel Pretty" was when she fell off her bike in Spin Class and hit her head. Granted, I cringed during that entire scene, but I kept thinking, "God, I would never want to take a class like that." Maybe because knowing myself I would be the one to fall off a stationary bike.

Frankly, I think the trend of spinning is overrated. You are sitting in a dark room with god awful pop music blaring and competing against other women. None of those elements seems appealing to me. One of the greatest things about biking is the ability to be outside. If you are like me who hates to run but wants to be outside, then shouldn't a bike be a great alternative to working out? How is peddling in a dark, cold gym beneficial to your health? Not to mention you are sitting down for the workout. Doctors are now saying "Sitting is the new smoking" so tell me how peddling on a stationary bike is at all healthy?

Another bone to pick with these spin classes are the promo shots. No one looks that good after "cycling" for 45 minutes. After I finish an hour of cardio my hair is flying in different directions, my face is red, and I am dripping with sweat. The last thing I want is an instructor acting cheery and perky while looking like she stepped out of a soul cycle add. Nobody can look that good after working out.

I do not think my dread for this fitness trend stems from the fact it's the group exercise. I think it is that everyone is expected to stand up and peddle at the same speed. I have no problems with other group exercises. I love yoga and pilates and thrive in an environment that stresses the importance of honoring your body. Working out is supposed to be part physical and part meditative, but there is nothing reflective or meditative about competing against other members in a class. The worst part, the trainers and coaches are practically screaming at you to hype up your energy. Frankly, spinning seems to be more dangerous than beneficial.

I understand that spinning is a great cardiovascular workout, and for some people, it might be the perfect work out. Nonetheless, I highly doubt you are truly competing against yourself, instead vying to be the best in the class and competing against the other attendees. However, I know that it is not the right workout for me. I would overdevelop my legs and look like a football player, something I am not interested in. Whether or not you like spinning, make sure to find an instructor who knows what they are doing.