4 Reasons You Should Never Trust "Rate My Professor" When You're Choosing Classes
Education

4 Reasons You Should Never Trust "Rate My Professor" When you're Choosing classes

Not all ratings are made with good intentions.

606
Michał Parzuchowski

It's no secret that many college students rely on "Rate My Professor" when picking their course load for the semester. However, after doing some research on classes I've taken and professors I've had...I'm not convinced it's the best option for course consultation.

Every college student is different. Especially at such a massive and eclectic school like the University of Central Florida. Our diversity here is what sets us apart and makes us so special as a university, but it also leaves a lot of room for interpretation. After browsing a variety of comments and ratings, I think it's safe to say that the fate of a course lies in the eye of the beholder.

Here are 4 reasons I believe that "Rate My Professor" isn't worth relying on come enrollment time.

1. Getting a bad grade in a course doesn't mean the professor was terrible.

I've had my fair share of questionable final grades. However, I think it's more of my responsibility than the professor's, and I don't think it's fair to blame the curriculum or final outcome on one person. There are some courses that are improperly planned and assessed, but others are just difficult, and that doesn't mean it's a bad course. I suggest students push their limits and take the time to tackle tough classes head-on, rather than blaming the instructor.

2. Language barriers don't make a professor bad.

A common comment I see on sites like "Rate My Professor" is that the instructor had a heavy accent, therefore making the course impossible to pass. While this may be true in some cases, I don't think this is a factor that should completely dismiss a highly qualified professor. There are many foreign professors at UCF that have a lot to offer students, it may just take a little more effort and patience to pass the class.

3. All college courses involve a heavy time commitment.

Another common complaint I read online is that some courses are too time-consuming. However, college isn't designed to be easy. College is what distinguishes good, hardworking students from the rest of the bunch, and students should expect to allow a decent amount of time for each course in order to be successful. Working hard and prioritizing is the key to success in higher education.

4. Hard exams are standard in college and can't be avoided.

Yes, we all hate extremely difficult exams. But, when a professor structures an exam in a particularly difficult way, it's most likely because he or she expects more out of his or her students. When taking a higher level course, students should be prepared for tedious and challenging exams. Although it's rough, it's unavoidable and teaches us all to be better students in the long run.

I am not dogging on "Rate My Professor." In fact, many comments are true. However, you must take everything with a grain of salt when reading reviews. Don't write off a class because of others' experiences.