You Never Get A Second Chance At A First Impression

In the 21st century, this first impression could be on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or even here on Odyssey
76

Everyone has heard it, those words that every 16-21 year old hates: “watch what you put on social media." These words are usually coming from a parent or person of authority, followed by an eye roll from the receiver of the comment. Everyone knows that they should watch what they put out there for the world to see, but why don’t they do it?

The other day I was reading an article on Odyssey that flat out made my jaw drop. I had this reaction, not because of my stance on the topic but because of how the article was worded. It was very rude and disrespectful to an entire group of people. Though there were good points made, and there was research done to back up those points, the execution of the wording in the article made it extremely disrespectful. This made me think “man, if this kid ever tries to get hired, and the employer finds it first…” All it would take is a simple Google search of the person’s name; you can find their Facebook, Twitter, high school football highlight video, and their Odyssey page in .53 seconds (according to Google). On that Odyssey page is this jaw dropping article, out in the open for the internet to see, including every employer in the country.

So what happens when he applies for a job and they find that link? They read the article first and boom, there goes the first impression. The unfiltered thoughts and opinions are now being used for or against him, in which way he has no control over. He didn’t get a hand shake, he didn’t get eye contact, he got an article on Odyssey. First impression done. Will what you say on the internet leave you without the interview or will it get you the interview? Be careful, my fellow internet contributors. It’s not just social media that can get you in trouble.