To Those Who Claim They Will Never Be A Modern Day Feminist, I Once Did, Too

Just because you do not feel you need feminism does not mean the world doesn't need it.

100
flickr

“Feminism” has become such a tricky word in today’s society. Some may say it is even as controversial as that other word beginning with an F. Indeed, I really do not know anyone who is ambivalent on the topic. It seems like one either loves it or hates it.

I used to actually be somewhat of the latter opinion, holding a certain disdain for feminism. The word “feminist” brought to mind stereotypical images of angry college professors lecturing on women’s studies in their thick, wire-rimmed glasses.

During my high school years and even very early on in college, I did not believe I was oppressed as a result of being female. I was working hard, seeing results, living a comfortable life, and the 19th Amendment existed. What more could I need?

Of course, I now recognize this as very flawed thinking. Just because I didn’t personally feel oppressed, who was I to say billions of other women across the world didn’t feel that way?

While I was claiming I did not need feminism, I was also apparently ignoring the fact that, apart from being female, I was (and still am) living a very privileged life. I come from a stable middle-class family, I am white, I attended a great public school district, and I now go to an amazing university.

The truth is, a lot of women do not have all these privileges including, but not limited to, working-class women, women of color, transgender women, and women living under oppressive government regimes. These women more than likely feel the sting of sexism far more intensely than I ever will.

In hindsight, I see it as incredibly self-indulgent and narrow-minded of myself to have critiqued feminism from my comfortable, privileged perspective.

It took a lot of time and education for me to understand how critical feminism still is. It took aspects of my formal education like that geography class where I learned about intersectional feminism.

It took listening to my female friends, women whom I look up to and very highly respect, talk about the issue.

It took seeing how women are shamed for their sexuality to a far greater extent than men.

It took really recognizing the utter ridiculousness of male politicians alone discussing reproductive issues and sexual assault.

Though I wish I could have objectively recognized the importance of feminism, I think it was largely my own experiences with sexism that really opened my eyes to the above issues. These personal experiences included my stint with evangelical Christianity during which I was told women were expected to maintain our “purity” and submit to our husbands should we ever get married.

These experiences also included being talked down to by males my own age, my very peers, simply because I was female. These experiences included seeing how nasty women can be to each other and acknowledging that our male-dominated society often pins us against each other.

Given how crucial feminism is, I think it is also important we address the reservations many people, especially other women, have with feminism. A good example is the topic of traditional gender roles. This idea, I believe, requires a very complex balance.

On one hand, if a woman chooses to be a stay-at-home mother, a very classic example of the traditional female role, it is important that we as women respect that decision and help her feel empowered in that choice.

On the other hand, it is still very crucial to remember that “traditional gender roles” have very much been socially constructed. Yes, females are biologically predisposed to give birth and nurse babies but the whole idea of a woman cooking, cleaning, and running a household is a product of human civilization.

At the very least, I believe if a woman does decide to assume a “traditional” gender role, she should do so completely of her own accord, without pressure from her husband, her family, or society at large.

To those females (and males) who do not yet consider themselves feminist, I do not want to impose guilt or force you to change your mind because that certainly would not be productive.

However, I do want to encourage you to challenge your current beliefs. Take a class, have a conversation with a feminist, read the work of feminist writers with whom you do not agree. Certainly, feminism is not yet perfect because nothing ever is.

Yet, I now believe feminism is not only critical but also amazing. As idealist as this sounds, I hope that someday everybody considers him or herself a feminist.