Family Ties in 'Never Have I Ever'

Family Ties in 'Never Have I Ever'

How Never Have I Ever conveys the importance of family

137
Family Ties in 'Never Have I Ever'

Never Have I Ever tells the story of Devi Vishwakumar, a high school student struggling to fit in with her peers. From the very beginning of the show, it is clear that Devi's mom is overbearing as they bicker and disagree. Devi struggles to connect with her mother because of the high expectations she is held to, so Devi quickly gives up trying to please her altogether. But what seems to be an innocent show about high school drama and familial tension transforms into a beautiful account of grief and its effects on the mind.

Throughout the show, Devi sees a therapist, and while most of what they talk about regards Devi's friends and love life, the therapist pushes Devi to confront the root of her problems -- the death of her father. Devi never processed her father's death, and she often sees flashbacks of him, remembering mostly the difficult times and the negative impact his death had on her. Devi's dad died while she was performing on stage during a school concert, which caused her to take an extended break from her instrument, the harp. Toward the end of the series, Devi is asked to play a song on the harp, but it is difficult for her because of the memory it brings up. However, after facing her fears and playing a tune, Devi is able to remember the positive memories she had with her father. Everything seems to be going well...until it quickly falls apart.

Even after this beautiful moment with the memory of her Dad, Devi still hasn't grieved him properly -- his ashes haven't been scattered. Devi's friend, Fabiola, analyzes that Devi doesn't want to scatter her father's ashes because she associates that action with saying goodbye to him for good. But Fabiola believes that Devi is ready.

At this point, however, grief isn't the only thing holding Devi back. She got in a fight with her mom, and now they aren't speaking. Devi ran away and is living with her friend Ben. At this point, both Devi and her mother are hurting. It's just a matter of who stands up first. This is where the connection between family and grief is so well represented in Never Have I Ever.

Devi's mom comes to Ben's house to see and talk to Devi, even though they are in an argument. This takes courage and vulnerability, but Devi's mom takes the chance to convey her love for her daughter. However, Devi immediately shuts her down. She is convinced that her mom is only attempting to make amends with her because she has alternate intentions -- she wants her to move back to India, not because she actually feels any remorse. The closed off Devi dismisses her mother and continues to wallow in her feelings.

It would have been her father's birthday, but Devi and her mother are grieving separately, which is not what he would have wanted. Devi's mother seems resigned because Devi rejected her apology, and heads off to scatter her husband's ashes without her. After the difficult conversation with Fabiola, Devi knows what she needs to do. She rushes to meet her mother so they can scatter the ashes together. Devi, her mother, and her cousin Kamala meet on the beach for a moment of pure family. Devi apologizes for her wrongdoings, and she and her mother embrace.

Never Have I Ever conveys that family and grief hold a power that is greater than arguments and disagreements. Ending the series this way highlights the power that togetherness and forgiveness hold. Devi and her mother are able to look past each other's shortcomings to grieve in a way that is beneficial to them both. Never Have I Ever reminds viewers that arguments that may feel like the end of the world are not always as serious as they seem to be, and a simple conversation or act of reaching out can make a difference. The bravery that Devi and her mother exhibit is admirable because they are able to refocus toward something that demands their attention. The characters understand each other's pain, and it brings them together.