To The Girl Who Just Went Through A Breakup

6 Things To Keep In Mind

563

To the girl who just went through a breakup,

I know there is nothing I can say to you right now that will make what you are going through hurt any less. Breakups suck. They just do. I am not a therapist and I don't know everything, but there are a few things I want you to know that might help you to get through it.

1. You Are Not Alone.

The feeling of loneliness is probably consuming you right now. Or at least, it consumed me for a while after everything happened. And it's scary. I noticed my loneliness didn't come from losing my boyfriend, but it came from losing my best friend. All of the sudden the person in this world who knew me better than anyone else, my support system and the person I completely trusted for five years of my life was just gone. That's insane, and so hard to cope with. But as lost as you may feel without him right now, just know you aren't alone. The friends you have want to help you. They want to be there for you. They want you to reach out to them. So do it. You aren't bugging them or being a burden, friends exist to love you and support you through all the ups and downs of life. So take advantage of that. In the process, those friendships will grow stronger and mean more to you. Talk about a blessing in disguise!

2. Keep Yourself Busy.

The worst thing you can do right now is to stay home everyday, watching Netflix for nine hours straight, eating three times the calories you normally do ( trust me, I'm speaking from experience). Yes, sometimes you might need a night or two to be completely unproductive and sad. THAT IS COMPLETELY OKAY, but don't make a habit of it. Make plans with your friends, spend time focusing on improving yourself, push yourself to be more social. NOTE: This does not mean go crazy and party every night. That's just as bad as locking yourself in your room. It won't fulfill you or make you feel better, it will only burn a whole in your wallet and allow you to make decisions you will regret. Try to focus on things outside of yourself. Be a better friend to someone who is also going through something tough, get more involved in the organization you are apart of. This will help you to grow and remind you that there is so much more to life than the guy who clearly wasn't meant for you.

3. Do Not Call Him. Just don't.

I know you want to text him. I know you want to call him a million times just to tell him how badly he messed or why the breakup is all his fault. Maybe you are hoping if you could just tell him all thats on your mind, he will realize you are right and will want to get back together with you, and everything will be fine again. But don't do it. You guys broke up for a reason, so don't let your temporary sadness make you forget the real and valid reasons you broke up in the first place. You have to stick to your guns. And in my experience, when you try to reach out to him, he will just end up hurting you more than you already are. So try to avoid that situation.

4. Don't Villain-ize Him.

While yes, it is important to keep in mind that you broke up for important reasons, don't constantly make him out to be a monster. I don't know why y'all broke up, but whatever the reason was, try to have grace for him. We have all messed up and have done things we will regret, so try not to come down on him too hard. God calls us to love our enemies, and right now, he is probably your biggest enemy. So try to love him the way God loves him. HOWEVER, that does not mean forgive him and get back together with him.

5. Don't Stalk His Social Media

If you go through his Facebook or Instagram trying to figure out every single post he has liked, and all the girls he has added on FB since you broke up, you will go crazy. Odds are you will find something that is actually harmless, but because you are slightly emotionally unstable, you will freak out and make yourself insane. You will only end up hurting yourself, and you don't need any added pain in your life, trust me.

6. You Are Worth So Much

Throughout the breakup process its highly likely that your ex did/said something hurtful that made you feel absolutely worthless. Maybe he made you feel objectified or made you feel like the worst person who has ever lived, whatever it was, please know it is not true. You are made in God's image, and even though we mess up sometimes, God still loves us and has such big plans for the future. For whatever reason, your relationship was not meant to be, and yes, that is sad. But just know that God has a man waiting for you who will treat you like a queen, who will love you, and who will make you forget about all the pain you are experiencing right now.

Hang in there. Things may seem tough right now, but trust me when I say it will get better. You are going to grow and learn so much, and by the end of all of it, you will be happier and healthier than ever before.

You got this, girl.