Net Neutrality Repeal, Except in Calmer Terms of Explaining It

With the FCC’s vote to repeal net neutrality, a lot of people are understandably worried; but, the time to panic is not yet here.

71
Tim Pierce, Wikimedia

The entire reason why I can write this and why you can read it is at stake, right? The FCC voted to repeal net neutrality last week, legislation that keeps websites and services on the Internet unable to charge people extra to view their content. So after paying a certain amount each month for access to the Internet and having Wi-Fi, you’re pretty much set.

Additional fees to view content or creating “packages” of certain websites like a social media bundle is what some speculate to be the new reality if this measure goes through, draining everyone of even more money. Providers could slow down your Internet and even block some websites it considers harmful. It could also take a big hit on small businesses.

There are a million reasons why this makes zero sense and is overall a terrible idea. Students can’t access content they may need, we can’t reach people over social media to talk to them or see their content, wallets of the middle class would continue to shrink, and so on. So panicking at the result of this vote is understandable. But just because this vote happened, is panicking a good thing to be doing right now?

The short answer is simply no, but there’s a bit of background to it. First of all, this is not the first time there was an outcry regarding the FCC. Multiple times before, there have been issues brought to higher courts about what exactly the FCC can and cannot regulate. Second, the vote to repeal does not mean instant doom as it has been construed in the media.

This vote means that the motion will be considered and that it is possible, but not definite. Have you noticed a change in your content viewing? No, because nothing has happened yet. This decision has to be fought out in court, and since our government usually closely examines something and takes a lot of time to review a measure before repealing or putting something in place, that will also take a while and will probably fade into the back of your brain anyways.

Also, as there is with a lot of decisions made in a court of law, there will be protests and petitions and outcries by the public. If net neutrality does get repealed and your representatives were in favor of that, it’s not like you can’t vote them out and push for someone more progressive in their place.

You can also petition and protest with other people who plan to do so. Just because the first step has been made in the process, that doesn’t mean the fight is over. It’s definitely something to remember and monitor over the next few months or so, but panicking right now is ultimately frivolous.

Something else to consider: consider net neutrality in terms of our economy. There are several internet providers which give you access to the internet at different costs and have different bundles if you choose to take those as well. The United States has a competitive and free market system which flourishes with capitalism.

Even if you don’t approve of this system or like capitalism, there’s a way to look at net neutrality in honest terms. So again, let’s say the measure passes and net neutrality is repealed and the world is in flames and the rapture is coming. Big businesses like Netflix have already some out with statements lamenting the decision; if companies are to stay competitive and achieve as much profit as possible, it’s possible that more will do this.

By coming out against net neutrality repeal, one can infer that the company against it would not want to add additional charges, right? This can happen on a larger scale with internet providers. If one comes out against it, they won’t necessarily charge higher prices to see social media or for online shopping. This will give lower prices to a consumer and a better choice would be to go to that business instead of one that charges higher prices.

By charging lower prices or keeping them the same, a company will attract more people and gain the profit that another company originally had, forcing the other company to either consider lowering their prices as well, consider selling parts of their company, or even shutting down in the long run. Even if net neutrality is repealed, that doesn’t mean the status quo won’t matter to a business.

Sure, companies are inherently greedy and I am just making up a scenario that could happen in a perfect world. Let’s say I am. Even if I am, there will still be people who don’t abide by net neutrality and who think it is more destructive than turning over a profit is worth.

The Internet is something just about everyone uses now; what is the point of taking away portions of it for only more wealthy people to consume? It’s important for everyone to have a level playing field in which they can all access information to help them best succeed.

Don’t think that the American people will just settle for their wallets to shrink and for companies to continue to turn more profit. There will be an outcry, and a large one at that. It has already started.

All in all, there’s no way to see what the future holds for the country and the Internet, but has anyone ever gone down without a fight in contemporary politics?