"Nerve" Is Yet Another Empty Teen Flick

"Nerve" Is Yet Another Empty Teen Flick

Rating: 4/10

43
"Nerve" Is Yet Another Empty Teen Flick
Lionsgate Movies/YouTube

“Nerve” has plot holes the size of Grand Canyon valleys. The entire premise of the game this film revolved around made no sense, and the way the protagonist finds herself in this situation is illogically self-inflicted, fueled by her overdramatized conflict with her obnoxious and overbearing friend group. By the end of this film, I was so confused by the constant integral misconceptions due to the writers misunderstanding of how game servers work, and their cliché character development that I had to turn off my brain for the final 10 minutes so I wouldn’t have an aneurysm.

The film constantly berated its viewers with a game called Nerve. It has a fan base as seemingly large as “Candy Crush” or “Clash of Clans.” Players can either watch or chose to play the game by completing dares seemingly voted on by their viewers. It was set up like the streaming service Twitch, where people would play the game while viewers simultaneously talked in the comment section about the stream.

For each dare completed, the game wires a certain amount of money to the player’s bank account. At first, with easy dares, it starts out at $20. As the dares become increasingly dangerous, the monetary value goes up exponentially.

Although the game makes sense on the surface level, earning money for completing possibly life-threatening stunts, it fails to make sense after you peel back its paper thin skin. To view a stream, a watcher has to pay $20 per season of the game. With 100,000 people just in New York City watching, the money being shelled out to the players is reasonable.

What doesn’t make sense are a few basic tenants of how technology works in 2016; for example, how the game creates an account. It to scans your thumb print on your smartphone screen, not the finger print sensor. With that spotty quality scan, they are able to pull every single scrap of information on you, from your bank routing information to your social security number. Phone screens can barely scan your finger for a basic unlock, let alone be accurate enough to somehow gather all of your personal data.

What’s more illogical is the way the writers set this game up to be an anonymous, secret society which almost no one is supposed to know about. Throughout the story, it shows large groups of teenagers live streaming some of the players completing dares, which is another feature of the game, with their bright LED flashes turned on, while standing on street corners in a major city. This is seen multiple times throughout the film, and honestly it’s just sloppy.

Wouldn’t the police get at least a little suspicious when large groups of people are videotaping someone putting themselves in bodily harm in the middle of the city? Cops are everywhere, and this movie makes them seem like the most vacuous-minded group of high school drop outs this nation has ever seen.

Keep in mind, as well, this game has been online for at least a year, and has had events in major cities at least across America. Wouldn’t any law enforcement be a tiny bit suspicious of teenagers climbing up cranes and driving motorcycles blindfolded? One kid died in Seattle playing this game a year previous to the setting, and the game has been played all over the nation since, promising idiotic teens riches by completing dares, which could kill them and put others around them in danger. This game would have at least hit a few Buzzfeed or Odyssey headlines by now.

The entire premise of this story is garbage. I could go on for a while about how the main character Vee was way too emotional in the beginning, and how the game’s infrastructure wouldn’t work in the real world, but why waste the effort? The ending was a fluffy happy ending, and it made my brain hurt how far they tried to stretch the script to make it happen.

This film reminds me of the more recent MTV films that came out throughout last year, such as "Project Almanac" and "Unfriended." Those two have decent premises, and they are able to make the entire movie visually interesting. However, all three of these movies have the same structural problems and terrible endings which make these films worthless. On a better note, I enjoyed this movie at times, due to the suspenseful dares and how they shot many of the scenes; however, overall this movie should be left in the dust and forgotten like its MTV predecessors.