Yes, We Need Gun Control Laws, Because Thoughts And Prayers Aren't Working
Politics

Thoughts and prayers are not effective anymore- action needs to be done.

248

This shouldn't keep happening. But it still does.

Last week's mass shooting at a Las Vegas outdoor concert was declared as the worst mass shooting in United States history.

Last year, the Pulse nightclub shooting was declared as the worst mass shooting in United States history. The same goes for Sandy Hook Elementary School, a Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, Colorado and the campus of Virginia Tech.

And yet, nothing was done in order to prevent more of these.

Even after five of the worst mass shootings in the country's history happened within a 10-year span, nothing has happened.

When the founding fathers first drafted the Constitution of the United States, the Second Amendment made sense. The year was 1789, and the British were still a looming threat even after the end of the American Revolution. Muskets were admittedly slow to use, and militias were common in order to protect the newly-formed United States.

However, 227 years later, the Second Amendment is still in place, but muskets are replaced with far faster and deadlier semi-automatic and automatic weapons.

Now, they are used more than ever thought possible to murder innocent people.

According to CNBC, there have been over 270 mass murders so far this year. When calculated, that means there is at least one mass shooting per day. The answer is clear- the Second Amendment needs to be revised and re-defined in order to save people's lives.

And the government has done nothing.

And that is in large part due to the NRA, which thrives on making money off of mass-murdering machines. And in order to protect its' organization, it gives massive amounts of money to politicians (mostly Republican) so they can enforce anti-gun control legislation. And it is time to stand up to the NRA and pro-gun politicians and tell them enough is enough.

There is a reason Australia has not have a major mass shooting since 1998.

There is a reason Canada, France, Japan, the United Kingdom, and other major first world countries have strict background checks and gun laws. There is no rational thinking when it comes to the fact that the United States has now severe gun laws and background checks in place.

So the next time Congress, the Senate, or President fail to pass a gun control law, they are complicit when the next mass shooting takes place. Unless something is done soon, expect more mass shootings to happen.

In fact, you should be furious that nothing has been done. After grieving for the victims of these ruthless attacks, use your voice as a force of change.

If you want a change in gun control laws, please use this link and find out who represents you and call.