Why You Need To Acknowledge Your Privilege

White supremacy: "The belief, theory, or doctrine that white people are inherently superior to people from all other racial groups, especially black people, and are therefore rightfully the dominant group in any society."

263
mattsko.wordpress.com

Racial injustice has been a part of society for a very long time. The first potential sign of racism dates back to the thirteen and fourteenth centuries, when Jews were said to be associated with Satan and related dark practices. Discrimination against Jews later became prominent in sixteenth century Spain. This set an example for the subsequent oppression of the African-American race in the United States.

The first slaves were transported to America in 1619. After the arrival of the 20 Africans in Jamestown, Virginia, slavery increased exponentially in North America. With the already skewed action of enslavement came severe mistreatment. Slaves were subjected to rape and other physical abuse, banned from being educated and treated as property. Eventually, slavery was abolished and with the segregation left over from this way of life came the Civil Rights Movement.

While the Civil Rights Movement as well as several other organizations within the Black Power Movement did help to create a more level grounds as far as racial equality, it could only do so much. Unfortunately, racist ideals still exist today. The portion of people whom these movements did not reach went on to spout their heinous beliefs to their friends, family, and future generations.

Recently, the world has been able to witness the murders of several African-Americans, such as Alton Sterling and Philando Castile, through social media and other web outlets. I am not the officers who shot these men, and I, therefore, have no right to speak for them and say that they carried out their actions because of racism. They may be racist, have a lack of training, or they might just be very crooked people. However, although it is possible that the recent tragic deaths were not based on discrimination, the world's response proves that racism is indeed still a very real problem.

Many whites are back-lashing the recently explosive Black Lives Matter Movement. Several are jumping to claim that "All Lives Matter," to use "black-on-black crime" as a rebuttal and to state that the movement is "anti-white" and/or "anti-police." These accusations are a failure to acknowledge white privilege and the very real systemic racism that surrounds us and only contribute to the issue at hand. What matters is not your skepticism toward BLM's agenda or your opinion that "all lives matter." What matters is the fact that white privilege and racial oppression against blacks still exist.

Since several whites neglect to acknowledge the existence of their own privilege, I would like to take the time to define exactly what it is and why it is real. White supremacy is defined as "the belief, theory, or doctrine that white people are inherently superior to people from all other racial groups, especially black people, and are therefore rightfully the dominant group in any society." White privilege is this thought put into action. White privilege is controlling the majority of the country's wealth, it is having employment priority, it is your decreased chances of facing punishment for performing the same action as a person of color (POC), it is having a lesser chance of being convicted for the crime you were arrested for, it is being 30 percent less likely to be pulled over than a black person.

Still confused? Let's take a look at a few real experiences told by people of African-American heritage:

"I work at Starbucks and I was scheduled to work on Christmas day. My white co-worker was at one register and I was at another, busily taking care of our long line of customers. One of the customers, who was an older white lady and a regular, did not want to come to my register. My coworker was dealing with a large order, and quickly said, 'Excuse me, ma'am, you can swing by to Rachelle here and she can help you.' The lady said, 'No! I'll just wait for you.' As I moved on to my next guest, the white lady finally made her order at my co-worker's register and pulled out a $50 bill for the tip jar. As my co-worker was placing it in the jar, which was usually later separated between everyone, the lady told her to leave it for just the white workers in the store and left." -Rachelle Francois (20, Florida)

"Once when I was perusing purses at Dillard's to buy my mom something for Mother's Day, a Caucasian salesperson came up to me and asked if I was finding everything alright. Innocent, right? Well, I moved on to jewelry when all of a sudden I found the same salesperson right on my heels. I'm pretty sure she didn't work in jewelry, so I wondered why was she watching me. Now, you could blame it on 'Mother's Day season' and the fact that 'teenagers having a reputation of stealing,' but I wondered why I was being watched and not the other teenagers. I decided to walk all the way to the store just to see if the woman would follow me. She did. I finally asked, 'Can I help you?' She quickly and very blatantly replied with, 'Are you going to buy something?' I said, 'Maybe I will, maybe I won't,' and walked away up the escalator. She didn't follow me, thankfully. I was actually very nervous and scared in that situation. I had heard about black people being followed in stores but had never experienced it first hand. She should have been fired, but I didn't say anything to anyone because it would've have been her word against mine." -Kennedy Metcalf (19, Kentucky)

"There was this boy on my bus in eighth grade that I didn't know very well. He was probably in sixth grade and would always comment on conversations that I was having with my friends. One day, he decided to ask if I was gay and of course living in a homophobic area I was like, 'Ew, no!' He responded with, I remember this exactly, 'Good, 'cause I hate black gay people more than I hate Mexicans.'" -Kyle Price (19, Chicago)

"Sometime in middle school I went to Kmart with an older church friend who was shopping for her daughter's wedding gift. I had found a game I wanted in the electronics section and was holding onto it, thinking about asking if my friend could buy it for me when an employee came up to me and asked if she could help me find anything. I told her that I was okay and kept milling around. After about an hour of getting these strange looks from the worker, I finally make my decision and go to find my chaperone. On my way, the employee stops me again and says, 'Are you sure you don't need help?' I tell her no thank you and that I was going to find my guardian. She proceeded to insist upon escorting me to my guardian even when I tell her I'm not sure where she is. Eventually, we find her and suddenly the lady is all smiles and apologetic when she sees my Caucasian, looks-like-she-just-came-from-church friend. She leaves and I find out that we don't have enough money to purchase the game I wanted so I go to put it back in the electronics section. On my way back I meet another lady who asks if she can help me. I tell her I'm putting the game back and she also says she'll walk with me. While we're walking back, I realize she's a manager so I tell her about my earlier experience with one of the workers. At the end of my story, she asked me, 'Are you going to be buying something?' I was telling her that my guardian was shopping for her daughter's wedding gift and didn't have enough to pay for both when she suddenly interrupted me and told me that If I wasn't going to buy anything that I shouldn't be there. I kinda frown and she holds out her hand like, 'I'll take that for you.' I give it to her and walk back to my friend in silence. I'm silent while we're checking out. Silent while she drives me home. I didn't understand it at the time, but I knew I felt uncomfortable about all that happened. Years later I came to understand the treatment and it made me angry. I have never shopped in that franchise to this day." -Olivia Walton (21, Ohio)

These stories are just a few of the events that those of color, especially blacks, have to face on a daily basis. There is no denying the racism and racial oppression that exist in our society. The best thing that whites can do to end this is to acknowledge their privilege. Don't pretend it's not real, and do not expect pity for being "white-shamed," and yes, I have heard that term uttered before. If you are unsure of the nature of your own behavior, you can check yourself with these 28 common racist attitudes and behaviors.

It is up to us as people to end racism. As a person who appears Caucasian, you have the upper hand in so many situations. You have the upper hand in life. Please, sympathize with the POCs who struggle with varying forms of oppression every day. Think about the mundane struggles they encounter that you will never be faced with.

You have the power to influence those around you. Speak out for their equality, even if you don't know what to say. A single hashtag is louder than silence.

As Ms. Metcalf so graciously states, "Racism never left the country. It comes out when you least expect it or when you think it doesn't happen anymore. It's a mental illness; a heart condition. And the only way to fight it is to not be it."