It's National Coming Out Day So I'm Doing Just That

It's National Coming Out Day, So I'm Doing Just That

"I'm coming out. I want the world to know." -Diana Ross

55
Megan Wittorp

Odyssey has given me the ability to express myself and open up about viewpoints that I rarely discuss. Writing about controversial topics is always scary because you're putting yourself in a vulnerable position by opening up to the world.

This article is possibly the most vulnerable I will ever get during my time with Odyssey.

This article is not a viewpoint, it is a coming out.

My senior year of high school I was faced with a very tough question: Who am I?

I was confused about everything in the world, myself included. It took time, but I figured it out. It's taken another four and a half years to talk about it.

So here it is: I'm bisexual.

So often do we see "straight" as the default for sexuality. This "default" made it even harder to admit my own sexuality to myself.

I spent months trying to figure out who I was and still have days where I question myself. I've spent so long keeping a large part of myself a secret that I've started to doubt myself and I no longer want to do that.

I want to be proud of who I am.

I want to stand up for other people and speak out about issues that affect me and others like me and not be afraid. I want to be a part of my community and not be afraid of being questioned.

I'm no longer afraid to be who I am.

For the past four years, I have watched this day come and go, each year saying, "This is the year," and chickening out last second. I'm not going to chicken out any longer. This is the year I tell everyone who I am.

I'm terrified of admitting this to the world, but I hope that it will only free me.

Bisexuality comes with its own myths and question for other people, though, and I want to address some things before I leave everyone with this new information about myself.

Dating a guy does not make me straight and dating a woman does not make me lesbian. Bisexuality is its own sexuality and should be seen as such.

I am not more likely to cheat because of my sexuality. Being bi does not make me unfaithful or promiscuous.

My history—with men or women—is none of your business. Period.

It's not a phase or "experimenting," it's who I am. Please see the previous point if you have questions about that.

My sexuality is not fake. It is real. I and countless others exist. This article is here to tell you I exist.

I'm bisexual and I'm coming out.

From Your Site Articles