Nasty 19 In College

Nasty 19 In College

The day I ate the best chocolate chip pancakes I've ever had.

6445
Nasty 19 In College
Unsplash

As a kid, I counted down the days to my birthday. I told everyone and their mother that I was turning one year older. I planned out my birthday party months in advance and read over the VIP invite list to chuck-e-cheese multiple times a day to make sure everyone invited deserved to be there.

I’d be so excited to see what new toys and games I got from everyone in my family. My mom would make cupcakes for me to bring to school and I would be everyone’s favorite person because I brought food. I’d pick my outfit out weeks in advance, make sure I looked perfect for my day. That’s exactly what it was, February 20 was my day.

But, in college, birthdays are not as important as they used to be. Presents turn to cash and all my family is 70 miles away. There are still classes, exams, acapella rehearsal, and internships. Professor's don't give you a shoutout, they don't even know my name. The day of birth doesn’t stop anything. I always got so excited for my birthday, but instead I dreaded it because I knew I had to study for an Italian exam. It was nice to get an endearing “happy birthday” from all of my friends, but it just wasn’t a special day.

Birthday’s lose their fame the older you get, 18, 19, 20, all the same. As I get older, everything loses it’s sparkle that it once had when I was 6. Not only birthday’s but Christmas, Easter, and every holiday in between. Christmas is no longer a man in a big red hat climbing down the chimney to put presents under a tree, instead it’s parents shopping for their kids. Easter is just parents hiding eggs behind the couch, no magic bunny hopping all around.

Although these holidays have lost their childish appeal, I appreciate them for different reasons. Now I don’t live home, I relish all time spent with my family. I can’t wait to go home for the holiday’s and give my little sister the biggest hug. These holidays are about appreciation for the people around you, not the things or attention you get.

My friends Victoria, Brooke, Chloe, and Olivia surprised me with birthday breakfast and my month was made. I have realized how thankful I am for the people that are in my life everyday, the greatest present I could ever get.

My first college birthday was not the same as all of my other birthdays, but my friends went out of their way to make sure that I felt special. My friends have become my family. I have really come to realize how thankful I am for the people I walk to class with everyday, the ones that went all out to make sure my birthday was fun. We went to breakfast in our pajamas and it was the most thrilling thing I have done all semester, mostly owed to the amazing chocolate chip pancakes I had.